Help ! FD-ISR is sooo confusing !

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by rragazan, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rragazan

rragazan Registered Member

I have FD but i don't really get it. How does it work ? I prefer to use my ghost 2002 instead :oops: ! I don't want to experiment cause my pc is set up very good and i don't want to kill it with some option. Can you please tell me some basics. I looked in the manual an it seems like some alien stuff ! Help. thank you. How can I remove norton ghost 2002 pro btw ?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Firstdefense makes a snapshot of your c: drive (or where you have windows installed) and stores it. Firstdefense then has a boot manager that lets you choose what snapshot to boot to.
    With Ghost you will have to copy the image from an external source and overwrite the hard drive every time. This takes time. Since Firstdefense stores the snapshot (equivalent to a image in a way) on your hard drive you can restore your system with just a reboot. Hence the Firstdefense Instant system recovery pitch :)

You can also store an archive of your system on external source (DVD, USB hard drive and so on) and use it as a limited backup. But FDISR is not intended as such. If it is just hard drive backup you´re looking for, or you "don't want to experiment" you should stick to your Ghost 2002. I personally use FDISR for different system configurations like beta testing and gaming setup.

The difference to Ghost, aside from the obvious speed factor, is that you can only restore your c: partition/drive

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  3. vhick

vhick Registered Member

first time i try fd-isr, i fall also to this situation. even if my pc is in good condition. i try to find a very quick restore software inspite of my low specs pc. i have no test pc to test fd-isr.

what im going to do is install the software. you never know if you dont try. after restart the pc and start the software. you came to the popup screen that you need to make an another snapshot. just click next, next, and next. and wow! i make a snapshot.

fd-isr have a very good wizards for starter. mine, i never disable this (for assurance what i do).

now fd-isr not giving me restoration service only. perhaps a more complex software. i never thought this can be made for a 5+ mb software.

thanks you very much....:wink:

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Every software looks weird in the beginning, including FDISR, because you are not familiar with it.
    After a few days, you will praise it into heaven, especially when it saves you from serious troubles, inside or outside Windows.
    Windows System Restore won't save your computer outside Windows, FDISR can do it in just one reboot. :)

5. rragazan

rragazan Registered Member

Yes i have it for around 27 days and still i haven't even ,, touched " it yet. I don't know how to remove Norton 2002 and install Norton Ghost 10. Does Norton Ghost have like the pre-boot thing in FD ? Other software i'm thinking of getting :

-norton ghost 10
    -norton save&restore
    -Acronis True Image 10 Home
    -Drive Image Software for Windows

What is the meaning of instant restore compared to image products ?

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This website might help you with removing Norton software, but read it well.
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm
    Do a backup of your actual harddisk FIRST, before you start removing Norton.

7. sukarof

With image products you get a exact image of the whole drive. With FDISR snapshot you get a "image" of your c: drive/partition only.
    With FDISR you can restore to that snapshot with a reboot.
    If you want to "go back" to an earlier state with imaging software, Ghost for example, you will have to reboot with a boot disk (DVD, CD or floppy) and then copy the image over your existing system.
    The difference is in speed.
    With FDISR it will take you 1 minute (depending on how fast your computer reboots) to recover.
    With imaging software it will take you the time it will take to copy something from an external drive (DVD, CD, USB drive or another partition) probably something between 10-30 minutes.

The speed is the difference. If you don't need to recover your system often, you don't need FDISR.
    I can only speak for my self, but it happens that I recover my system two or three times per day. Thats why FDISR is great for me. I also do some imaging once or twice a month (with all the FDISR snapshots) as a last defense. FDISR is my First :blink: defense, against beta software mostly, but also if I some time would get "fortunate" enough to actually encounter some malware.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I can only speak for my self, but it happens that I recover my system two or three times per day.

lol
    Wow sukarof what are you up to?

9. sukarof

Its not every day, but when I put my mind to it, it can happen :)
    Testing apps mostly. I install run the apps to check them out and when done with them I reboot to my original configuration. That way I dont have to worry any leftovers messes up my system.
    I have a couple of clean snapshots. With clean I mean windows XP install only to see if any problems that occur on my main snapshot, with all the different software that I use daily, will appear on the clean snapshot too. Then I know if it is windows or my apps that conflicts with the software I am testing.
    Then of course booting into a game optimized configuration.

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

There's actually a large easy to understand help file in FDISR.
    It was a little confusing to me too when I tried it the very first time, but if you read the help file and follow it step-by-step, you'll soon learn everything there is to learn.

It's awesome if you are testing software or just want a backup of your system that can be recovered in no time.
    I really love this app, it's superb. I got it for free but I was planning on buying it after my trial ran out. :)

11. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

heres a little known secret- when no one's around, at midnight, if you polish your computer three times with a virgin cloth, the first defense isr genie will exude from it, and if you show yourself to be humble and willing to learn, he will bestow upon you the subtle and secret arts of the first defense-never to be abused, the power must be tempered with reason and good will toward men....

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LooooL
    A swede with a sense of humor: what is the world coming to, I ask you. :D

13. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

:) a drunken swede is a friendly swede ;)

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Chrome, you have an illness, and need to get yourself checked :p :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.