HELP! F-Secure 5.41 right clich scan not working!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisP, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have just noticed that when I right click on a file to scan it for viruses, even though it gives me the option to scan for viruses, - it does not scan.

I have tried re-installing F-Secure and have found that it will scan with the right click facility - until I rebot - thereafter it will not work.

Have any other F-Secure 5.41 users found this?

I know it did work in the past.

I have even tried re-installing my OS (Win XP Home) - but it sitll wonr right click scan!

Spooky!

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Chris,

I would recommend contacting the software vendor on this issue for the obviously needed support.

regards,

paul

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Yeah, I know this may not be the best forum - but I have contacted F-Secure and they have not replied!

A friend also uses F-Secure 5.41 - and he has the same problem.

I just cant understand why it is not scanning - as even after a complete OS install etc it wont work properly.

Have any other 5.41 users noticed this?

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

...that's not the best customer service..which support email addy did you use?

This would indicate it's not purely related to your system in specific.

regards.

paul

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

This is just a blind guess on my part. :p

Please check if the results are different depending on the type of file you attempt to scan.

The McAfee installation on my work PC only offers "SCAN for Viruses" as an option in the context menu only if I right-click on a particular file-type - one that McAfee is configured to scan.

I realize you get an scan option listed in your context menu, but no scan. Perhaps F-Secure is not scanning because you're trying to scan a file-type that it is not configured to scan.

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

It is the same on all file types. even the same when F-Secure is set to scan all file types as well.

The thing is, if I do a fresh install of F-Secure it will right click scan - until I reboot - then it wont.

Its the same on my friends PC - however, I know it did work in the past, so makes me think it is to do with the system clock or something similar.

Have waited 2 days for F-Secure to get back to me - but no joy.

I used the support address on their website.

I only noticed this prob when I scanned files I got from K++ (Best to scan these!)

7. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

After hours of messing about with my PC, I have worked out the cause of the problem (if anyone is interested)!

The problem is that I have changed my ISP from Pipex ADSL (a dialup account using a Fujitsu ADSL modem which pluged in a USB prot) to NTL Cable - which plugs straingt in my notebooks network port - and is therefore "always on" as it were.

I have discovered that F-Secure AV wont right-click scan if my PC is hooked up to NTL when it boots!

If I disable the network adapter within Windows, then reboot, then enable the adapter - F-Secure AVs right click works fine (the same occurs if I unplug the cable before booting, then plug it in once its all up and running)

This is so strange in my opinion. Why would my PC being hooked up to the net on boot disable the right click - spooky!

Im just happy I have worked out the cause of the prob.

Now I want to work out if I can configure my connection so Im not connected when I boot up - without disabling the network adapter or messing about with cables.

Any Ideas? (I guess replies to that would be off-topic)

Cheers,

ChrisP

8. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Kudos to you for your detective work - hope your continued investigation makes sense of it all. Very strange indeed.

Did F-Secure support never get back to you? Perhaps these new findings will help them offer some useful advice.

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

No reply from F-Secure at all!

I may email them telling them what I have discovered, but it would have been nice if they had contacted me, you know, what with me being a customer and all that.

I have made a shortcut to the start menu for the network adapter (in the same group as ie & outlook - so can disablethe network adapter from there with a right click - so is easy to use now.

10. hoverfly

hoverfly Registered Member

I found the almost same problem, in my case,i use outpost,it interrupt the F-SECURE init if it run on system boot time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.