Help creating partitions !

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by sdrawkcab, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sdrawkcab

sdrawkcab Registered Member

I am trying to create 5 primary partitions on my 2GB USB drive so I can boot from live operating systems from my USB drive. I am abale to create 4 primary partitons, but when I create the fifth I get an error saing the partition could not be created. Is there a limit of 4 primary partitions I was not aware of?

Also, is there any way to make one of those partitions contain the Acronis bootable rescue media?

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

there is a maximum of four logical partitions but u can create an extended partition and then create more partitions within it.

heres what it would be like:

-Logical Partition 1
    -Logical Partition 2
    -Logical Partition 3
    -Extended Partition
    --Logical Partition 4
    --Logical Partition 5

if im wrong, id appreciate any correction.

3. sdrawkcab

Thanks for the advice, but that is not exactly what I'm looking for. See, idon't want to have any logical partitions. I am trying to make them all primary partitions so each one can be bootable.

It would look like:

-Primary Partition 1
    -Primary Partition 2
    -Primary Partition 3
    -Primary Partition 4
    -Primary Partition 5

Once I have created 4 primary partitions, I cannot create any more. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.

By they way, how do you create an extended partiton in DD10? I can't find the option to do that. I can only find the otions to create a partiton as a primary or logical partition.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i got the info from here. please read it in case i misread/mistyped something.

in any case, you an only have one active bootable partition. if u want to dual or multi-boot you'll need a boot manager such as OS Selector which is part of disk director iirc.

5. sdrawkcab

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I realize that I can only have one active partition. I was going to use a boot loader (like grub) to make the flash drive mulltiboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.