Help Configuring Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Stevie666, Mar 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevie666

Stevie666 Registered Member

Hi,

I've switched from Norton AV to Nod32 in the last few days, and am really pleased with it.

I've configured it using the extra settings for nod 32 thread and it seems to be working fine, however the one thing i'm not sure of is setting imon up to work with my email.

I'm using Aol for my email and i'm not sure if imon is checking the incoming email ? i've tried to send the eicar test to my email, to see if imon picks it up but Aol won't let me send it to myself, as it's own email virus checkers pick it up.

I'd be really grateful of some advice on how to set it up properly to work with my email.

Thanks

Steve

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

As of now, IMON cannot check AOL e-mail. IMON can only scan HTTP and POP3 mail. AOL mail uses a different protocol known as IMAP (which keeps the mail remotely on a server) on a nonstandard port.

You can always use AMON to scan any files downloaded from AOL mail, though. This will still work. And AOL uses McAfee to scan the e-mail on their systems anyway, so it is not like you are completely unprotected.

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

search for the eicar test virus - I think you'll find a way to send it to you as an email.

I don't think you will have IMON NOT configured, but checking using the eicar test virus is the safest way to test:

http://www.eicar.org/

hth

Greg

4. Stevie666

Stevie666 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I eventually got an eicar email sent to my address and Nod32 didn't pick it up, which is a bit worrying !

Amon didn't pick it up when i opened the mail ? but when i tried to download eicar without turning Amon off first it picked up on it straight away.
    shouldn't Amon have picked it up when i opened the email

Will Nod32 change this in the future ? as algove said Aol email is checked by Macfee, but it's still a bit worrying not having your AntiVirus software check your emails.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

There are utilities on the web which will enable you to receive AOL email via POP3, however, most of them are shareware.

6. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Actually, this is correct. When you open up AOL mail (or any IMAP mail), attachments do not download automatically to the computer. Instead, they will download only when you tell them to download. AMON will be able to detect it once it has actually been downloaded.

This is in contrast to POP3 mail ("normal e-mail"), which downloads everything from the server right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.