help cloning duplicate OS's

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by jebbrown, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebbrown

jebbrown Registered Member

I've made a true image image file of my Windows MCE OS from the C: partition, & have restored it to my E: partition (these are the 1st & 2nd partitions on the drive). The swap file is stored on a partition on a different drive (D: partition). The Acronis OS selector wouldn't recognize the OS on the (new) E: partition until I modified the boot.ini file on that partition to "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS".
    Now the new OS is recognized, but When it tries to boot, It starts to load the user setting, flashes a screen, then says logging out...

Is it possible to load multiple copies of an OS from an image file and get them all to boot properly, or am I just banging my head against a wall?

Thanks

JB

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jebbrown,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. jebbrown

jebbrown Registered Member

There's no need to create a report if the answer to my question is no, as I am able to install multiple copies of an operating system by installing them from CD via your boot manager. However if it is possible to install multiple copies of an OS using a True Image image file then I will create a report.

My question was:
    "Is it possible to load multiple copies of an OS from an image file and get them all to boot properly, or am I just banging my head against a wall?"

Thanks

JB

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jebbrown,

I'm sorry for not providing you with the answer to your original question in my previous post.

The answer is yes, it is possible.

Here is the basic scheme of transferring the operating system:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Create an image of the prepared Windows partition and then restore this image to the desired location;

- Make changes in the boot.ini file as it is described in this article.

- Try to boot as usual;

- If it does not boot then please follow my instructions from the previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.