[Help]Analysis of application protocols will not function

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ncfeiyang, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

do you delete the registry key for the driver service as well as the file from system32 before trying to reinstall it ?

When it says it cannot start, have you went into device manager and tried to start the epf service manually and get any kind of error ?

2. othersteve

othersteve Registered Member

I have indeed done so. If I recall correctly, when I attempt to restart the service manually, it does work (at least the first time). However, the driver continues to malfunction... again, if I recall correctly.

If I have time, I will attempt again and report back with my results; one of the computers just so happens to be at my home, so...

-Steve

3. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I would like to add that although I am seeing this on customer sites, I never have the opportunity to test things out. I am on a time-charge & have to work to the customer's best interest. I also want no risk of the problem re-occurring some time later. It is a matter for Eset to sort out, although I am sure that they appreciate feedback from guys with your skills. I would also add that it's likely that computers where I am getting the problems may previously have had Norton/AVG/McAffee installed (& sometimes all 3!). I would of course always use the manufacturer's cleaners before installing EAV (I do not use ESS). I have never seen the problem on a new pc. In-house, I only have 1 computer running EAV v4 & have not had the issue, everything else is either EAV v2.7 or just Prevx. I am finding that I am increasingly turning to Prevx these days.

4. djlinares

djlinares Registered Member

hi ccomputertek, in my computer in device manager appears that exclamation point your said on epfwtdir... im sing XP and my nod32 version is 3.0.621.0 but the problem is that my OS is in spanish... i don`t know what the hkey local machine thing is and i`ve been trying to look for what it is or how i find it and i can`t. can you tell step by step how i can get there please...

5. ccomputertek

Just log on to your administrator account, open the command prompt and type:

SC STOP epfwtdir
    SC DELETE epfwtdir

Then delete epfwtdir.sys from your windows\system32\drivers folder

then reboot...... then go into NOD32 program files folder in the drivers subfolder and right click epfwtdir.INF and " install " the epfwtdir driver and reboot again.That most likely will fix it.

6. djlinares

i just did what you said... now when i try to intall the epfwtdir INF file says instalation error and does´t install it... what can i do nowo_O

7. djlinares

hi ccomputertek... i copied the file into the system32/drivers folder and rebooted and the problem is gone... now i have maximum protection again... thanks a lot for your help and ESET should hire you for your knowledge... so long and thanks again!!!

8. ccomputertek

This happened because you probably did not reboot after deleting the service and driver, you had to reboot after that step.Right clicking the INF and " install " will send a new copy of epfwtdir to the system32\drivers folder for you, and also it will reinstall the service.

9. Fearl3SS

Fearl3SS Registered Member

Nothing That is Mentioned here seems to be a Permanent Solution to the problem.

I have tried Everything that was said here. Nothing seems to work.

The only Conclusion that I can Come to is, that If a Server was Updated from a Nt/2000 Svr to 2003 that there is a problem with the driver files it creates on the server, upon 1st Restart and Corrupts the ESET Service..

Now Reloading The server that I have this problem on Is not A option at all.

It seems that the AV is working on the server even if it gives you the error.
    As long as you do not browse on the server or use it as a Mail server. you should be fine.
    If you have a Antivirus server on your network, just set a Schedule to scan the she Macine with the faulty Nod32 at least once a day.

I unfortunatly Strarted a new Thread of this topic today(hopefully Eset will respond). But Only Afterwards found this one.

I guess after a year Eset could also not fix this problem yet.

10. ccomputertek

So I guess you can go into device manager and view hidden drivers and go into this drivers properties and start it manually and get no error ?

11. Negrobastardo

Negrobastardo Registered Member

You guys are not going to believe this, so I am thinking when ESET mentions protocols, I think "Firewall" so I enabled my Windows Firewall, rebooted and guess what? The darn thing works and the error went away.

Go Figure.

12. ijb

ijb Registered Member

I'm having the same problem, suddenly after proper operation since the product install. Nothing changed on the computer, running a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit.
    The firewall is active and operating properly. A NOD32 deep virus scan was successful and found nothing. A search for the e**** file referenced came up empty. It's not on the computer at all.
    I did file an incident report with ESET but it's too soon for a response.

13. dannyboy

dannyboy Registered Member

I have also started getting this regularly with 4.0.474 on my home and work PC's (both running Win 7, one 32-bit and one 64-bit). Even reinstalling sometimes only fixes it for a day or so before it returns. I tried the 4.2 beta but that does the same thing.

It is incredibly annoying, would be good if it can be fixed properly by Eset. For info, I do not, and have never had, any other security software on these PC's (even Defender is disabled), and definitely no other tdi drivers running.

14. jeffreytz

jeffreytz Registered Member

Repair function worked for me

So I got this error message, did a google, found this thread, was about to do the entire uninstall/reinstall based on the knowledge solution on ESETs site, but when I ran the Uninstall program it gave an option to Repair the installation (as well as doing a complete uninstall). I decided to give it a try, it worked fine (so far). We'll see if it hangs on. Anyway wondering if anyone else has tried the repair function.

15. Fearl3SS

Fearl3SS Registered Member

Where Do you Change This Tag? In the Registry or a Inf/ini File?
    Please specify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.