Heads up

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wildman, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:doubt: Have discovered through Reg Cleaner and Reg Seeker that items are being left in the registry after one has uninstalled AVG 7.0. Also a check of the config.sys found left over items as well. Just thought I would pass this observation along.

Thanks
    wildman
    :ninja: *puppy*

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

What anti-virus are you trying now Wildman?

3. wildman

;) The least of my favorites is the one that works the best on my machine, therefore I am reluctantly back to utilizing AntiVir/PE.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: :p

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Funny thing that - most people would say that the BEST of their favourites was the one that works best on their machine!!!!

Must be a topsy turvey world over there in Wildman territory!

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Topper, go easy on Wildman he has had problems getting a good Free AV that works on his older machine due to limited PC funds. :( I hope you were just saying these things in jest not understanding the real problems. Thanks for the heads up Wildman if you recall I use AVG 7.

6. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Understood; but surely if he finds an AV that works best on his machine it should be his MOST favourite, not his least favourite?

Anyway, since the new AVPE updating is set to be Beta when it finally comes out, it looks like the Wildman saga is set to run and run - bit like a soap opera really!!

7. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Is it safe to just search for AVG 7 in the registry and delete the keys that are left behind? I will probably be un-installing AVG today and getting NOD32. The leftover keys will not cause any problems if I leave them in there anyway will they?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No. You can use a registry cleaner like Regseeker to clean those AVG entries out of the registry.

9. wildman

:D It's been a long association with AntiVir/PE. I have seen other FREE virus programs come along, and according to quiet a few post (over the years), on this and other forums, far surpass them. Unfortunately these other programs do not operate that well on my machine (I wish the hell they did), thus I am limited to utilizing the one that works the best on my machine, not necessarily the one I would really like to use. Thus the one I am using now is by no means my MOST favorite. We shall see what AntiVir/PE develops into (and sincerely I hope it comes up to the level of the other FREE virus programs, not only in tech. capabilities but utilization as well).

Thanks
    wildman
    :) ;) :p :D

10. wildman

:) Thanks. I think my problem could well be that I have only one memory card in this machine and it is for 32MB. I am looking into obtaining a 128MB card, but this may not be for a while down the road. Not to sound as if I am throwing myself a pity party (just not what I want to do), but I really do live on a very tight budget. Had it not been for the mother-in-law purchasing this machine, I would not be writing this now. I utilize dial-up, and for the time being that is all I can afford. Don't know if I would purchase virus protection even if I could afford it, I had a very sour experience with the virus protection program that was installed with this machine, and it was from a pay company. (Learned what a modern day computer crash was all about).

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: ;) :eek: :D

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

While I was using W/9x, I always had F-Prot for Dos handy. Granted, it is not realtime, but you can configure a boot disk for emergencies. Nice to have on hand.
    You may already know this.

12. wildman

:D Thanks Ron. I think I am as well protected as I can be under the circumstances. I have the boot disk made, I utilize a2squared, adaware, spybot, spyblaster and AntiVir/PE. I keep all of these up to date also. I run all of these at least once a week as well. I also practice safe browsing and I do not except email from any source that I am not fully aware of.

Oops: How could I have forgot my little Scottie Dog (Win Patrol), also have that one installed. (25 Jan 05 9:37 A.M.).

Thanks
    wildman
    :) ;) :D

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sounds like a fortress to me. Carry on! :D

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

sounds as if you are pretty well protected

bigc

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If, by chance, you want anything else, I recommend Bit Defender 7.2 free version. It doesn't have a real time monitor but has a great on demand one. It updates at least once a day. Nice interface also. I'm using it and no other av as, like you, I practice safe hex and always download to disk and scan before running or opening attachments or anything. Plus, I use Firefox not IE.

http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/downloads.php?menu_id=2

16. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

what about ssm? it works on 95/98 too and doesn't use that much resources. very good, very free and a lot of support on a lot of boards cause a lot of people still using it...
    (works in a way like processguard btw)

http://www.webattack.com/get/systemsafety.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.