Headphones

Discussion in 'hardware' started by whitedragon551, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

I own a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones paired with a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard. Listening to Music is so much more fun:thumb:

2. guest

guest Guest

Don't hold your breath for it. I need a scanner first, then a new girlfriend glasses. :D

I know you were joking lol. I just spoke with a cold tone and unfriendly face. It scares people off most of the time lol.

I don't know about everybody else, but I define headsets as those little things which you can get when buying mobile phones or iPod, while headphones are the bigger ones which cover your whole ears.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I think those are called "in-ear....something". But it doesn't really matter. It can be in-ear headphone, or in-ear headset. Don't know much about them.

FWIW from my view this is the visible difference between a headset and headphones :)

Headphones: http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/104

Headset: http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/964/158

P.S Yes I need new glasses too :(

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Those small headphones hang or put in your ear are usually called (in-)earphones/earbuds and the higher quality ones are usually called in-ear monitors.

I got Sennheiser IE6's for on the go when I don't use my headphones, great quality from such little speakers.

You mean in-ear monitors(IEMs)?

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

There are adapters you can get that take a mic and audio input and combine them into a USB.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha sorry I only know about the in-ear.... part not the rest of the name/s when it comes to these small ones that's no bigger than your fingertip. But you seem to have a hang of the names I see :D Edit: And whitedragon551 below too :).....

7. whitedragon551

There are a ton of types of headphones:

-In Ear Monitors have a silicone or foam tip that is inserted into the ear canal.
    -Earbuds are usually round buds that sit on the exterior portion of your ear. They dont extend into the canal.
    -Custom In Ear monitors are in ear monitors, but made from custom molds of your ears by an Audiologist or yourself
    -Super Aural or on ear headphones are cupped headphones that sit on your ear
    -Over ear headphones are cupped headphones that fit around your ear

Then there is open back or closed back for the super aural or over ear style headphones. Each of which has their strengths and weakneses.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-G...B1KJK22/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=541966&s=pc

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well what I didn't mention in my first post is that my on-board sound has been getting worse and worse during the last 6 months, and today I only got sound in one channel.

So what could I do, upgrade this old PC...no not an option. I looked online for something external...

And I found this one online wich I bought today in a local store: http://www.terratec.net/en/products/AUREON_Dual_USB_9842.html
    Plug it in and there you go, no drivers that needs to be installed. And I must say for this amount of money it is really nice, and a very good backup plan for everyone to have incase the soundcard goes bad for whatever reason. Then you can just plug in Headphones -> USB -> PC and you're back in business.

So thanks to this little thing I got sound in both ears :D

10. whitedragon551

For those that are interested here are some of the reviews I have done for heapdhones. I have about 3 more lined up that I need to complete before doing more work.

http://www.pc-babble.com/tag/headphones/

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Currently own a Sennheiser HD202. It fit my needs perfectly, i have a friend that owns a Sennheiser HD650 and to be HONEST, it didn't impress me.

I have been thinking of getting a good IEM since my Sennheiser HD202 cables are almost dying. It still sounds as new but i can already see the copper wires . . . LOL

12. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Seeing as you guys like headfones. I want a lower price range over the ear & bluetooth good for moving around the house & walking in street. more for lectures & stuff so music quality not important.

Just bought a chinese one on ebay........now hanging permanently on wall as a memorial to stupidity.

13. whitedragon551

You could try the Philips SHB9100. Your going to have a hard time finding over the ear and bluetooth together in a decent set of headphones for less than $150 USD.

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ROFLMAO.....:argh: ....sorry couldn't help myself. Well people learn from their mistakes. I'm sure you'd be more careful from now on. :argh: ....:argh: ......hahahaha......

15. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

good point. Then what about sports earfones? One cannot test 'em. The couple i bought dont line up with my ears properly and to get a good volume I have to push 'em against my ear. They all look great. Got any ideas here?

Thanks Emit.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

That would be Amit.:)

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So whats up with the chinese one from eBay?
    Didnt like it? :D

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

o_O Is something wrong with your ears or what? ;) :p :D

No seriously, I actually tried them in a store a while back not that I were going to buy them since the price tag is too high for my liking (I can get three HD 555's for that price) but to my surprise I actually like the sound coming from my HD 555 better, I don't know why but that's how it is.

They were hanging next to eachother in the store so I tried several of the high end sennheiser headphones that plays in the league above the HD 555, but I still liked the sound coming from the HD 555 the best. Wich feels good when I know how much the other ones cost. :D

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahahahaha well i may have not "liked" it due to a lot of reasons.

Main ones are:
    -I was listening to it from an iPod with no AMP. Im pretty sure the iPod cant handle the HD650 high ohms.
    -The audio files were regular MP3 with a bitrate of 128kbps.

So basically the reason i didnt like it was probably because his gear is not up to the task for an HD650.
    I felt the sound was extremely hollow and it had almost no bass at all. (My friend loves electronic music and i listened to a couple songs that i also have on my PMP)

Currently i run my HD202 through a Cowon D2 and a Fiio. Nothing fancy, i know i dont need the Fiio but i bought it years ago to give it a try.
    BTW, most of my songs are either high bitrate MP3 files or FLAC. (Dont ask me how i got them) :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Have you also tried the HD 700 or 800? Though they're not really comparable if you look at the price :D

Lol, that explains it, 128kbps MP3 is just crap :D

21. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, 128Kbps MP3 won't make much difference. I'd say at least 192Kbps MP3, but AAC is more efficient than MP3 according to some people.

Actually, it depends on the audio itself. Typical JPops sound just fine at 128Kbps MP3, but classical musics sound fuzzy at the same bitrate and format.

22. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Just in case you guys didnt notice, i edited my post. :D

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No unfortunately not, the HD 650 model was the most expensive Sennheiser high end headphone they had in store at that moment.

Have you tried them? I can almost read between the lines that you have :D

I actually kinda don't want to try them only to find out I may like them better than the HD 555, but at the same time I do want to try them :argh:

24. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Currently using a Sennheiser 201. I've used a couple of other circumaural sets previously from JVC and Pioneer but the 201 is the most comfortable for me (the cheapest too!). Sound quality is good and I like that it comes with a 3-meter long cable. When I travel though, I usually just use the pair that comes with the player or a cheap neckband from Creative when applicable.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yepp we see, I guess that can explain it just like you say :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.