HDMI problems

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Decapad, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hello - I just got a new Acer pc, the X1200 running Vista. It's a low priced model but it had an HDMI port I planned to use so I could connect my pc to a nearby TV. Sadly it didn't work - here's what happened. When I first connected to the TV I got NO picture or sound. So I disconnected the small monitor at my computer desk by unscrewing it from the back of the pc. Once I did that, the picture came to life on the TV. But still NO sound at all. So I was only able to get video on the TV at the expense of disconnecting my computing monitor and unable to get any audio at all no matter what I tried. Now I did this with 2 pairs of HDMI cable with the exact same results - so it's not a cable issue.
    I'm a little new to Vista - so maybe I'm missing some Monitor/Sound setting that may correct this - but I did go to Control Panel/Sound & tinker with some various settings but nothing helped. In this window it did show this Realtek HDMI Output Icon & it showed "working" as it's status.
    Now I suppose I could get some pc audio out splitter to RCA in adapters for the sound to run to the TV & use the HDMI for the video only. But this seems like a crappy option since I'll always have to disconnect the computing monitor & of course HDMI is supposed to push audio & video.
    Sadly this pc also has very few manuals available & tech support was absolutely useless...Please help if you can:thumb: Thank you!!! D:)

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Did you try to set Realtek HDMI Output as a default audio device and then to launch program?

3. Decapad

Hey T - Yes I did try that. In all honesty I'm really starting to NOT like this pc. Since it's only a few days old I think I'm going to return it - sadly I wasted at least 30 hours on initial setup...:mad: So - does anyone have a pc where the built in HDMI output works just fine? If so - please post the make & model so I won't repeat this episode. Thank you! Deca:thumb:

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Although HDMI does indeed carry 5.1 audio in home entertainment systems, computer graphics cards only carry video. So I would not expect any audio from the computer. You would need a separate cable from the audio line out of the motherboard's audio to the TV's audio inputs.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

That depends on type, my ATI 3870 contains "HDMI Output: built-in multi-channel 5.1 surround audio over DVI-HDMI Adaptor", but notebook is a different story.
    I used HDMI to watch movies from PC on TV, but only on Vista, then I could not get that audio work on Vista anymore, nor on W7. ATI screwed new drivers. :ouch:

6. Bill_Bright

Hmm, but those graphics cards have their own on-board audio - so in effect, you when you add one of those graphics cards, you are adding a sound card too. So in that case - yes, the audio will go over the HDMI cable too.

Thanks for the reminder about the ATIs.

7. Decapad

Hello again - well in this pc it has a section called Realtek Audio Mgr - which has a subsection that configures HDMI audio. So you would think it should work. Anyway I'll just split the normal pc audio for now and run separate cables - which of course was exactly what I was trying to avoid by getting a HDMI pc.... If any other ideas come to mind from anyone please post - Thanks again! D;)

8. Decapad

:thumb: Me again - got it working - no further action required (Thank God!) Happy Holiday! D

9. Bill_Bright

And what did you do to get it going?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.