HDM14 crashes when accessing network drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Dave313, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Dave313

Dave313 Registered Member

Don't think I would want to risk installing older or out-of-date system files on these two PC's. I depend on them both to do all of my bill-paying and online shopping etc. They work perfectly well and I don't want to 'break' them over something that is a Paragon problem.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Attached Files:

3. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

4. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

No worries Dave, I'm just simply trying to to replicate this as fast as I can to get this reported for a fix.

5. Praz

Praz Registered Member

I also installed the latest Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64). I then extracted the HDM msi file from the exe so the included Visual C++ files would not be installed. HDM still crashed when accessing a network folder. If it will help I'll obtain a dump file and forward it to you.

6. Praz

Praz Registered Member

Hi Matt

Has there been any progress made on this issue? Thanks.

7. Dave313

Since this issue is not being resolved, i need to take some other course of action so I can backup my computers.

Does anyone know if it is possible to install and run both an HDM12 installation and an HDM14 installation on a Windows 8 PC? I could uninstall HDM14-- then install HDM12 back on my PC's and use it until the HDM14 problem is fixed. However, I'd then have to re-install HDM14, then install the HDM14 patch when/if there ever is one. Would be a lot less work to just leave HDM14 on all of my PC's and only deal with install/uninstall of HDM12. Three PC's in total here, so I'm trying to avoid having to go through a lot of work for no good reason.

My mult-user licenses for HDM12 and HDM14 are completely separate, so I don't think I would be violating any license rights.

8. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Dave313,

Just run one version of the same product or you will end up with problems. There will be some type of conflict. This is my prediction.

Its worth the extra time now (rather than pull your hair out upon a conflict, when you need to rely on a backup and restore) to fully uninstall one version and then install the other version. INMO

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  9. Praz

Praz Registered Member

Dave

Are you able to backup to your chosen network destination by making that folder a mapped drive instead of attempting to browse to it? I only use Paragon from a bootable USB stick but the mapped drive works for me. I was hesitant posting this before because of the seemingly non-movement of a fix for this issue and this workaround being considered good enough.

10. bjorn_herbert

bjorn_herbert Registered Member

Myself, been told two days ago, a fix is not to be expected untill "roughly a month from now on". There seems to be no patch available in the meantime. I have been offered "a scripting solution", but this workaround I honestly am not very comfortable With. Furthermore, this has apparently been a wellknown issue even before ver. 14 was released. Bad policy, I think.

11. Dave313

Praz,

Thanks for the suggestion. I understand your reason for being hesitant. So extra thanks for the mapped drive work-around.

I had not thought of trying a mapped drive to access the network location from within HDM. As a work-around, it does work on my PC's. I guess thats the good news. The bad news is that HDM14 will not remember the mapped drive-- even if I check the 'permanent' checkbox. That means I cannot use this work-around for a scheduled backup. No such mapping is retained for the scheduled event. So, I have to manually set up from scratch the complete job settings for each and every backup I want to do. Very tedious and time-wasting.

Unless I'm doing something in error, the program can't access a network location and it can't remember a mapped drive from one backup to the next-- even when the program has not been closed. It seems there are all manner of features. The only catch is they don't actually work.

12. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Dave313,

Have you tried Mapping the Network Drive from Windows Explorer (Tools, map network drive and check On - Reconnect at Logon) instead ?

13. Dave313

JosephB,

Thanks for your suggestions...

As far as mapping drives in Win Explorer, I use several Explorer-mapped drives full-time for the PC's on my local network. These are actually shares on my network drive that I map (with reconnect-at-logon enabled) on each PC to represent a drive F and a drive G on each PC. It works perfectly well with all other programs except for HDM. I've never been able to get HDM to even see a drive mapped in Win Explorer. Maybe there is some method or option in HDM to allow this that I am not aware of.

14. Dave313

Or so I thought...

To be more accurate... It will do a backup. It just won't do a restore of that backup image. No way to access the files. The backup appears in the archives list as one that occurred but-- no file access so it is NA. Tried doing a restore from the Restore Wizard and mapping my way to the network share where the files reside but the wizard still will not even show that backup in its list of backups to be restored.

This is it for me. Moving on to another program that can actually do backups and restores to/from a network drive-- at least for now.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  15. Dave313

Finally some good news to pass on!!!

I accessed my account on Paragon website on 12/27 and noticed there was an update for HDM14. I installed it the next day and have been testing it. I've been able to select shares and sub-folders on my network drive and successfully perform backups. I have not yet done a restore, but I was able to initiate the restore process and access the files-- unlike before. This seems to be working from within Win 8 as well as from the boot CD made with the new, updated media builder on both of my Win 8 PC's. I have not yet tested any of this on my Win 7 but I suspect it will be OK as well.

This is a very dramatic improvement compared to what I was dealing with on the former version of HDM14.

I read in one of the other threads --but can't recall which one-- that someone was referring to the former version as not crashing when backing up to a USB drive (as I recall) attached to another PC across a local network. That is a different scenario than what I have. I'm backing up to an actual stand-alone network drive-- NOT a USB drive attached via USB cable to a another PC on the network. (Not wanting to cause argument. I'm just hoping to pinpoint where my trouble is/was just in case this thread will in any way help anyone else.)

A couple things I did notice even with the latest version of HDM14:

When using the boot CD version, when I am connecting to the network in the Network Setup app (before loading the actual HDM14), I do need to wait a good amount of time (5 to 10 seconds) for actions in the 'Select a folder' window to take place. For both (a) accessing the network iteslf when this window opens as well as (b) selecting the drive in the list so as to open shares on it-- I need to wait a bit. In both cases, normally, a 'reading folder... please wait' message appears. And a swirly in-progress indicator appears. But for whatever reason sometimes the message and indicator does not appear. However, HDM will still get to the drive and open the shares list if I just wait for that 5 to 10 seconds in both cases. If I do not wait, the connection is 'broken' and there is no network access at all. No amount of fiddling about will bring it back. I have to shut down the PC and the network, wait, turn everything back on and reboot the PC on the boot CD and start all over. I suspect there was a specific reason the message and 'swirly' were not appearing at all times and I have some ideas (I don't even think it is an HDM issue), but have not been able to verify anything. Regardless, if I wait 10 seconds at each of the above mentioned points, HDM does successfully access the entire network every time.

Secondly, I noticed that with the boot CD version of HDM14, it is important to make sure the network drive has not gone into its sleep mode while HDM is trying to gain network access. I think HDM times out (??) before the drive wakes up to the activity. I find that this type of network drive goes into 'sleep' mode much too soon (during a period of inactivity) and there is no way to adjust this.

But.... these issues are entirely separate from the hard program crash that occurs with the former version of HDM14. With that version, I could not even get to the point of the program attempting to access the network drive.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

16. Slaycock

Slaycock Registered Member

I downloaded the latest version of HMD 14. Its a disappointment. I still cannot select the NAS drives on my network (NAS4Ffree servers ) but can see other PCs on the network. I can make a backup to a NAS4Free server using ftp however I cannot then make a differential backup as 'The wizard could not open the archive file'. So I'm now in a worse position than previously after the update.

I should also mention that I have the trial version of Macruim Reflect installed on the same PC. It has worked flawlessly since installation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.