Having problems installing Avira Premium 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by buckshee, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Aha. Maybe that's why I haven't noticed anything; I am using a 64-bit Windows 7.

2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Same here. Most of my installs were on Win 7 x64. Had no problems with XP 32 bit though either.

Weird.

3. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

It ha s been reported, however Tzuk said " I don't think that I can do anything about this, you will probably have to post this problem on the Avira forum"
    I am extremely reluctant to upgrade, especially on my XP pc, as so far, all the problem reports are from 32 bit users.
    If Avira don't comment, I will try another AV

4. Trooper

That's a shame. Hope either product can sort this problem out for you guys.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Already reported...Check

On a Newly-formatted Windows 7 32-bit with Sanboxie 3.60,
    Avira 2012 Free refuses to complete Installation...:mad:

I'd like to see the Avira response...:doubt:

6. Trooper

I certainly hope it gets sorted out rather soon.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This could be a good reason considering that the 64 bit version doesn't come with ProActiv, but 'Sloba' (Avira forum) has a 64 bit system, and experienced the same problems that I had.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=136654

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Avira so far has turned a deaf ear to the issue, particularly considering that there is a workaround: install Avira first and then Sandboxie. Now having a workaround isn't enough as people without experience could find themselves with a serious problem, although I can't believe there's anybody out there having Sandboxie and being a layman.

The number of people with Sandboxie is a drop in the ocean compared to the overall number of Avira's users. I don't think it is an urgent priority for Avira at this stage.

Workaround #8 : http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=136817

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  9. Trooper

Its still surprising that Avira has not addressed this issue. I was a beta tester and had installation issues with some of the first builds and that was without Sandboxie.

I'm currently running it on one machine which is Windows 7 x64 without Sandboxie and it seems to be running fine. I hope Avira starts to fix up some of these bugs however. In my opinion, this product was in beta for too short of a time period.

10. COMPYPY

COMPYPY Registered Member

Installed avira again and there is new problem
    1...... Internet disconnect
    2...... Browser close automatically
    Scan system with avira mbam sas but no result
    :eek:

Trying to correct the problem otherwise have to back system image/reinstall :cool:

11. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I had to download the full install for it to work. The web install kept hanging and wouldn't finish.

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm certainly in no hurry to upgrade to 12. Things like this are the reason I have product updating turned off, and wait awhile before upgrading with new major versions. After my license runs out I doubt I'll even bother using an AV at all anymore, and I intend on using v.10 SP2 until that time.

If I do keep running an AV the only one that makes sense to me is Panda Cloud. It'll have to be something that's so light I don't know it's there. Ideally I'd like something that scans only new & changed files, and has an extensive cloud database to do so to take the footprint off my computer. My dream solution would be for Sandboxie & Hitman Pro to incorporate their products to achieve this. Before moving files out of the sandbox it automatically connects to the HMP cloud to scan them. And it does nothing other than that (no real-time scanning otherwise). I'd pay a kings ransom for such a product.

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For someone like you, to uninstall SB and to re-install it after Avira12 isn't really the end of the world, Avira12 is faster than Avira10 (that is assuming you may encounter a problem upgrading in the first place). I had turned off web guard with Avira10 because it was to slow, in retrospect I think the sluggishness of web guard might had already something to do with Sandboxie.

Lots of good things are written about Panda Cloud, and by all means Avira is acting arrogant lately, but again I see no speed change on my computer with Avira12. It is almost certain that Cloud will be added soon to Avira, in my experience 95% of all malware detection was performed on my machines off line.

14. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I just don't want to even test the theory that there may be a problem installing the new version, and having to go through that. Everything is working fine the way it is, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Web Guard isn't sluggish at all here, and neither is Proactive. I was expecting to notice a slowdown from both of them when upgrading to Premium, but was surprised to realize it was just as light as Free was for me.

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm quoting myself as I found time to do some more tests: the workaround mentioned above seems to work with some machines but not with mine. Installing Sandboxie 3.60 after Avira12, I get a bluescreen and upon rebooting Windows doesn't start. It is very unfortunate, as I find it more and more difficult to deal with Avira. I'm not a beta tester, and I'm not happy at all to waste time doing the job that Avira developers should have done in the first place. In due time I will have to make a decision.

16. 2good

2good Guest

had the same problem on 64 bit the installation hangs. if you go in to safe mode it will install.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks, as a matter of fact that's what I did short of restoring an image.

18. mick92z

So you can install Avira in safe mode without uninstalling Sandboxie ?
    I suppose you need networking too, to insert the license ?
    This is good news, as I am extremely reluctant to temporarily uninstall Sandboxie

19. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have been using Sandboxie with Avira for years without problems, I installed the Avira first. Then after Avira was installed I would then install the web guard, I seem to remember some people having problems with the web guard before so I decided not to install the web guard yet.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm sorry I misread your post, I thought you said "if you go in to safe mode it will uninstall." Perhaps I should try to install it in safe mode. Was everything fine once you rebooted (speed, stability, overall feeling)? When you say the installation hangs, you mean by installing Avira after Sandboxie, don't you?

21. Trooper

Have you got this sorted yet? I want to run Sandboxie but will wait for now if its gonna BSOD my wife's laptop.

Thanks.

22. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

sort of fixed the problem, you need to install Avira without internet connection otherwise it will crash you windows.

23. mick92z

When you install either premium or security suite, does it not require a connection to validate the license key. I seem to remember it does this before installation, although I may be wrong

24. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

It does if you enter a keycode. Not if you have a HBEDV key.

25. mick92z

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.