Having Boot Problems with NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by FireDancer, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hi all,

In a previous post I stated that I was having problems booting Win98SE occasionally and I wasnt sure that it was NOD causing it. jan kindly replied and asked a few questions and added some instructions which I followed.

I posted back that problem seemed to dissapear.
    :( There back... On booting Win98SE seems to boot to desktop.. and again I can hear the music load but nothing else. Desktop wont come up. I have a cursir..BTW which moves freely.. so the system isnt locked up but will not respond to a CNTL ALT DEL I have to physicaly hit the reset button on the front of my machine to get it to boot.

After this happened I uninstalled NOD32v2 and removed any files/folders reminants of Eset/NOD32 and proceeded to reboot. Win98SE came up bueatifully and very fast as well.. no problems. I then rebooted the system on and off for 30 minutes to try to confirm it was NOD32 causing the boot problems. I have had none since the removal.

In my mind I belive that it is NOD32v2 causing the boot problems. I belive NOD32 is a very powerfull AV and I do like it but am stummped as to why the problem. I was ready to plunk down the Ol' Credit card today to purchase my NOD32v2 but am now hesitant as I do not want to have reoccuring problems after spending the hard earned dollars I had to con out of my wife for this AV :) Can someone offer some suggestions or opinions?
    as I want my NOD32v2 soon.

EDIT : I am not getting any error promtps with this problem!!

Regards,
    FireDancer

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

FireDancer,

This is an issue for the Eset staff. Since it's weekend, Jan most probably address your issue upcoming Monday.

regards.

paul

3. Samaritan

Samaritan Registered Member

May I make a suggestion?

After installing Nod32 v2, my computer failed to restart to complete the installation.
    In safemode I could scan for viruses, and a couple were mentioned, files were cleaned but some couldn't be cleaned until a restart.
    Guess what, I still couldn't restart and those important "in Use" windows files couldn't be cleaned.

Suggestion:
    Scan everything using the dos version, download it, unpack it and scan it in dos outside of windows.

This is what I did...

On a clean computer, I downloaded the dos version of Nod32 and unpacked it. I copied the unpacked nod32dos version files straight onto a cd which made it write protected.
    I didn't know how to make a bootable cd, this would have started automatically, scanning in dos before windows was operating.

Anyway... with the resumed infected Windows running, I then copied these files from the cd onto the c:\ and they were still read only. I restarted the computer with a startup floppy disc and changed drives from A to C and ran c:\nod32dos.exe.

eg. When the Startup disk present you with the command prompt for the floppy drive A:\>
    type this cd c:\ [enter]
    C:\nod32dos.exe [enter]

It worked, and cleaned EVERY FILE including the kernel32.dll, this then allowed me to install Nod32 for windows finally uninfected.

Worth a crack I think.

4. FireDancer

Paul,

yes you are right and I am sure Jan/Eset will reply like they always do. Thanks for the responce
    Regards,
    FireDancer

Samaritain,

Thanks for the responce, In as much as you have givin me another alternitive I am not sure thats the problem. I am squeaky clean and NOD32 so far has ran flawlessly. This problem only seems to happen on a reboot and I get no Kernal errors.. or errors of any kind when it happens.

I use NOD32v2 along with TDS3, and a whole compilation of spayware software.. AdWare, SpyBot, SpywareBlaster and find nothing with each scan. I am pretty anal about not downloading junk onto my puter and dont allow alot to be stored. (Security Concious) ROFL :) maybe to concious but I am happy with that. I will keep your suggestion as it sounds you did well with it and I am very glad it worked for you :) I am also awaiting a responce from jan at Eset maybe he can throw a little light into our conversation?

Regards,
    FireDancer

5. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi FireDancer,

I'd suggest you to try the Samaritan's advice too, if you don't mind.

Thx., :)

jan

6. FireDancer

Jan and Samaritain,

I purchased NOD32v2 2 days ago and d loaded software and immediatly took samaritains advise minus a few steps.
    I unpacked all files to a CD as a fail safe for future problems. I installed in safe mode and have not had a problem with NOD32 I LOVE this AV :) I think if I have to I can run the set up samaritain explains above if I have a problem. Thanks for the advise all of you. And thanks you NOD for creating such a great AV software

Regards,
    FireDancer :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.