Have you Upgraded to Windows 8 yet?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Brocke, Oct 26, 2012.

?

Have you upgraded to windows 8 yet?

1. Yes, I am running Windows 8 now

29.7%
  2. No, I will stay with Windows 7, XP, etc...

70.3%
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If those behaviors are acceptable to you, stay with Windows. To me it's not. It is no ones business what I open, read, install, visit, etc, especially Microsofts. If their software won't respect my wishes, then I don't need it.

It's sad that you can't discuss such issues without resorting to name calling and labeling of those who don't share your view.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

@Noone_particular,

I think Linux would be a good fit for you.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

indeed.
    Linux has coma a long way and some distros are just as polished as Windows.
    i kind of enjoyed Win 8 but found i'm not too crazy about Metro/Cinnamon/Unity.

if you are not 'married' to any Windows software now is a very good time to try some alternatives.

4. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

The data collected by Microsoft can't be used to identify you. Your usage is a number among billions, not a person with an unique ID, when it comes to it. And, you can disable even that beneficial collection of non-personally identifiable data too. Your fears are irrational IMO. I'm not labeling or calling you "names", I'm just saying what I think about your statements, in all honesty.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I'm surprised that the uptake is as high as 1:2. Although this forum is computer related. I don't think MS will enjoy those figures in the wider community until they turn off the life-support for XP.

6. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

When I see statements like the ones noone_particular usually writes, I think about several approaches to try to help. Recommending Linux is, in my opinion, simple trying to make him avoid the irrational fears. That won't cure him from the fears. Imagine that his Linux distribution of choice starts to become popular and starts to need some modern way of gathering data to help their devs to correctly address the issues. His fears will appear again, because they weren't cured, and if they come at the same intensity, he will ignore ways of disabling the data collection. He will end up having to move to another unpopular platform.

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

You're getting way out of line. The last thing I need is some self appointed shrink telling me what should be rational. If I ignore anything, comments like your last ones will head the list.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

No. I have no intention on doing so unless my Xp box takes a crap then I'll weigh all my options.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I won't upgrade or switch from Linux, unless it's genuinely free.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Wild Hunter's comments not withstanding, it's a pretty big leap to go from "SmartScreen validates apps against an online list" to "Microsoft is spying on you!" Microsoft has outlined their privacy practices and stated that data is not kept, compiled, nor used for anything beyond the validation (as well as addressing the SSL2 issue), and there's no evidence of deception; it requires more than a mere connection to a Microsoft server to constitute evidence.

On the other side of the coin they would have a lot to lose, and the risk of being found out would be quite high. There are a lot of people/companies that would love nothing more than to use that kind of thing to shut them down, and there are companies running Windows with far more to lose than anyone here if MS did try such things -- these companies would quickly sue MS out of existence.

If the idea of a company possibly knowing what apps you install or what websites you visit is a concern for you, then the only sure thing would be to stay offline and only buy software in cash from small stores -- and you certainly don't go to public forums and discuss your software or security in any regard.

We put a lot of trust in a lot of companies -- often without thinking about it. Security software vendors would be at the top of the list.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  11. @noone_particular:

From your posts here I don't think you'd have much trouble learning Linux. I would say the problem is more along the lines of "is it worth your time." There are a lot of things that are (relatively) easy on Windows and difficult on Linux - high-end 3D games, PDF editing, serious graphics work, and audio stuff all come to mind.

If you use your computer for browsing and reading stuff, then Linux will work for you. OTOH, if want to play video games, mix music, or create digital art, then you're (unfortunately) probably stuck with Windows.

12. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

If you don't very aggressively disable/block/avoid numerous features of Windows 8 and Microsoft cloud services, Microsoft should definitely be receiving pretty extensive information about the apps you install and run, what websites/URLs you visit, etc. The potential for personally identifiable information to get sucked up in that is significant. The potential for "could be used to acquire personally identifiable information" information to get sucked up in that is much higher and possibly certain. Of course, if you explicitly hand Microsoft personally identifiable information by using the Microsoft Store, via use of its email service, by uploading documents to its cloud in unencrypted form, etc then there is actually no doubt whatsoever that Microsoft has received that personally identifiable information (along with everything else).

There are technical aspects I haven't seen thoroughly assessed by anyone, such as an in-depth study of the communications and unique identifiers above/beyond IP Addresses (GUIDs, usernames, ...), which would shed more light on just how much of the information is inherently correlated from the get go. I think more than enough is known and can be deduced from the way things work to confidently believe that large chunks of it would be if not more.

So much information flowing into *one* company, in such ways, should be of at least some, and arguably considerable, concern to every person that is exposed to it. Every potential user has to decide for themselves how they will approach the situation...

Such thorough measures would likely work well and I'd tip my hat to anyone who cares enough about principles to go that far. Of course, most people would prefer something a little less thorough. Obviously, people should be sure to consider the alternatives to Windows 8 and other Microsoft services. One thing I think they should very strongly consider is *not* fully embracing any one company's ecosystem and thereby fully exposing themselves, their data, their communications, their activities, etc to one company. Try to split things up, compartmentalize things. For purposes of illustration only (don't consider this adequate let alone best), if you decide to run Windows 8 and use the Microsoft (Company A) Store, don't use SmartScreen/Defender or use Microsoft email or store documents in Microsoft's cloud or link any social networking sites to Microsoft. Use Company B for AV, Company C for email, Company D for encrypted cloud backups, Company E for careful/limited social networking. That way, if one company mishandles your information or experiences a breach or whatever, you have (hopefully) limited the damage.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  13. mirageboss

mirageboss Registered Member

I trialed the Consumer Preview some time ago when it was our, so I knew what I was in for when I purchased Windows 8 Upgrade.

Love my Windows 8, wouldn't downgrade for anything.

14. new2security

new2security Registered Member

I will stay away from W8. It's just too weird IMO, weird start screen, no start button, same/but different apps/software for metro and classic Windows etc.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Gave it one last fling recently, and made my final decision to stick with 7 on my existing laptop. Although I can live with 8, I don't see any good reason to upgrade for now. When I buy a new machine, that's when I'll go with it, or whatever they're selling at the time....

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've tried Linux tons of time and i've always stopped using it after a couple days. Installing anything that is not in the app library is a PITA. :D

17. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I went with Win 8 after buying Dell XPS 8500. Wanted to have Win 8's compatibility with UEFI since I don't rely on much security software.

It's funny I hadn't planned on buying a new machine, but decided to do it so my wife could have her own workstation at home. She prefers Win 7.

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

On my main machine I have Vista Ultimate, a great OS regardless the negative reviews of some members. I tested Win 8 for a couple of days when it was first offered for bugs and feedback, and I must say I wasn't crazy about it. I would definitely consider it with a new machine.

19. er34

er34 Guest

Hey! Windows 7 is excellent OS, no doubt about that :thumb: But there are literally many reasons one will want to upgrade to Windows 8. I'll start with the fact that officially it is improved Windows 7 + new features and new interface : better battery usage for mobile computers, better security from all kind, built-in antivirus, faster start-up, faster install, many built-in functions and programs that previously had to be 3rd party all the time.

There are many more : read these lists:
    1. Better on the inside: under the hood of Windows 8 -> link
    2. Introducing Windows 8 - preview for professionals -> link

20. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Sure but there is no classic windows 2000 theme.

21. er34

er34 Guest

But there is a ModernUI (Metro) interface based on Fitt's law :p

22. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It's not called upgrade, it's called downgrade ! :)

23. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

If you take the time to actually use it, I think you will at the very least say it is as good as Windows 7.

24. guest

guest Guest

""It's not called upgrade, it's called downgrade""

Agreed, along with windows 7:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

25. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

Same here. I wanted her to be my GF but she's just not my type(Linux)!!LOL
    To be honest...after installing Windows 8. It is Windows 7+ (Not a big fan of new start menu)!!! But it runs so smooth & fast on my Laptop Hard Drive!!
    So i am keeping it :D :D !! another good feature i like is Refreshing OS (Though haven't tried it yet:rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.