Have you seen this before?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kees1958, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

After harddisk crash, installed againg with PowerBroker and GesWall, noticing "Untrusted" Integrity level for the first time of Chrome tabs. Running Chromium developer build 20.0.1112.0

See pic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm running build 20.0.1107.0 (Developer Build 132713 Windows), and I've seeing what I've been seeing for quite sometime - AppContainer, instead of Low.

Broker process - Low; Renderer process - AppContainer.

I'll upgrade later on, and tell you if there's any change and if I get what you get.

Crazy stuff... o_O

-edit-

See here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2034862&postcount=3

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Okay Integrity Levels Windows 7 as they exist http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb625963.aspx

You have appcointainer (on Win7?) which is supposed to be introduced with Windows8 http://recxltd.blogspot.com/2012/03/windows-8-app-container-security-notes.html

I am happy with it when it is a new development direction. Shared processes like the hardware GPU acceleration seems to run in LOW, which UNTRUSTED (your case AppContainer) processes can make use of since they have a lower integrity ranking.

It was my bad, that I downloaded a developer build, in stead of the Chromium version corresponding with the latest's Chrome stable.

Thx for the link and post :thumb: (I am not alone, problably all using developer builds should see this :D ).

Great development of Chrome: initially plug-ins ran medium level and renderer processes, low, now plug-ins run low rights and everything else untrusted (even lower :D ). This will make it much harder for scripts to break out the sandbox. :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

By the way, when going to process Properties > Security tab, I can see that the renderer processes have an Untrusted mandatory label. :D

Pretty cool. Not sure why it appears AppContainer. It's a mistery.

So, now, not only is the broker process running @ low, but the renderer processes all run @ Untrusted/AppContainer. :D

5. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I was about to post the same thing. Noticed it during the last few Chromium builds wasn't sure if it might have been a bug at first. But like you say, great development of Chrome from milestone 20 and no more glitches when looking through process explorer (medium processes, you know what i'm talking about) I checked and the same is in Chrome dev for those that want to know.

This coupled with your safe-admin tweaks especially if you're running Chromium being unsigned run from program files makes for running a very tight ship indeed. :D :thumb:

Attached Files:

6. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

7. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Those of you running the latest Chromium builds might want to check your profile folders and see if there is a NPAPIFlash folder.

Perhaps they're pushing NPAPI flash through to Chromium the way they do with Chrome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.