Have you disabled Java?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have all browser plugins in opera in on demand mode so i have to enable them every time i visit a website.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Also, the Java update 7.10 seems to have been a bit buggy.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye I have had major issues with java 7 update 10. if i downgrade to 9 everything works fine. the browser doesnt think java is installed and I have tried on multiple computers.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  4. Daveski17

Everything went fine on my Win 7 x64 desktop, but it happened to me on my notebook with Firefox & Chrome. Eventually I restored to an earlier image (Backup & Restore) of about 8 days previously. After I had reinstalled all the MS updates (& other updates except for Java) I found that trying to run Java in Firefox or Chrome crashed the plugin. So I totally uninstalled the older Java version & re-installed Java 7.10. After I did that it worked fine. I really don't know why though.

If you ask me, Oracle are a bit in denial about these bugs.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I have Java disabled in Iron, enabled in IE8 (for the rare cases i may need it).

Also running Java 6 Update 38 and don't intend to update unless there is a pressing reason. I am kind of tired of the continuous holes and bugs of "upgrades".

6. Daveski17

Java 7.11 is already out.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks for the quick announcement, updating right now.

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, I have uninstalled Java.

Nothing seems to break.

Maybe time to sell Oracle stock short:D

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Java is not installed on this PC. Unless required, it should not be installed.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Even though Java is always being exploited i still have it installed on my "less" important desktop. :D

12. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Disabled? No, uninstalled? Yes. Going on four years without it.

Bo

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

never install it at all here. the wife has to use it for a few web sites though so she has to have it installed or they dont work. i refuse to install it myself.

14. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

well just got that update, havent had any problems with the 7.10 update thou , lols

need it for jdownloader ;)

thou i dont see a problem if your browser is sandboxed as should,uses noscript and request policy,and you only allow the sites that you trully trust to use java

not many need it but some do

15. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Oracle issued a new version yesterday, however, I still uninstalled it - really never used it except Secunia OnLine Test and I don't need that - switched to Secunia PSI. No reason to have threats due to an unnecessary app.

16. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Nice addon. I an trialling it since yesterday, with Java and Javascript disabled by default, and so far have found out only a site (Simplenote) that needs Javascript. I particularly like the option to reload the page on dis/able.

17. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I don't like java either, but I need it for online banking.

Is it only the java browser plugins that are unsecure, or are programs that require java or have java components also a problem? For example, I sometimes use LaTeXDraw, which is launched in Windows using the command "java -jar LaTeXDraw.jar". Several other programs that include java components (or at least jar files): Matlab, Mathematica, LibreOfficePortable, KompoZerPortable, and certain Thunderbird add-ons. Are these all security risks?

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I had nothing to disable since I don't have it installed. :p

19. Daveski17

Yes, it is pretty good. I've not been using it that long as I achieved the same Java on/off ability with PrefBar (originally coded as an integral part of K-Meleon). I used this with SeaMonkey as well. Unfortunately PrefBar's latest update (around three months ago) has been a bit glitchy so I uninstalled it & tried QuickJava.

It works well enough, although I tend to control Java-Scripting with NoScript on Firefox & SeaMonkey. I even use RequestPolicy on SeaMonkey just for some added JS control. RequestPolicy can be a bit frustrating sometimes to use though. I find QuickJava useful for stopping annoying animations on some pages, something which I could originally do with PrefBar. The great thing about PrefBar was that it was easily hidden & could even have a drop-down from the GUI bookmark bar. I have since discovered that I can hide a lot of very useful icons (including QuickJava's) with Vertical Toolbar leaving my GUI relatively uncluttered.

At least Java 7.u11 has a pop-up now to ask you whether you want to run it or not. I have Java disabled in every browser I use & I don't actually seem to need it for anything. If I didn't run OpenOffice I would almost certainly uninstall Java completely.

20. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

So I installed the latest update and IE would not load, all other browsers work fine but IE, just hangs there. Since I need IE for a number of business apps I used Rx to rollback to 7..10. PITA for sure.

21. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

It seems that if you don't need some of the features, you can run OpenOffice without Java...

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Java_and_OpenOffice.org

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

23. Daveski17

24. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I never install it in the first place to be in a position to enable or disable it.

And I use OpenOffice and it works just fine without Java. Of course I only use the Writer & Draw components.

25. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

I installed it after this.

Why? Because now that everyone is removing it, the hackers will ignore it and move on to something else.. Java is safer then ever before now!

Libre Office is better than OpenOffice, by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.