Have to turn off firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by aggravated, Dec 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aggravated

aggravated Guest

i installed spy bot and spyware blaser today. however now i must turn off my fire wll to access the internet at all. i have System Suite 4.0 by ontrack. i have checked the applications list to make sure that the programs are not listed as blocked. if any one can help me please drop me a line. i am not a computer wiz but i get by.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Maybe you should disable your antispyware one at a time to see which one maybe giving you trouble

3. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Perhaps more to the point, did you check the applications list to ensure that the programs listed are PERMITTED? I'm not personally familiar with System Suite, but most software firewalls require you to explicitly list (at the very least) the applications permitted; i.e., those not listed are implicitly blocked. And, yes, I know that some software firewalls do permit precisely the opposite configuration -- but usually only as an option.

4. aggravated

aggravated Guest

well i have solved the problem but i am back were i started. i had to uninstall both programs and do a system restore. i the installed spybot-searcha dn destry. but in once again locked out my firewall. it was like it made it choose to block all outgoing traffic, eventhough the programs were listed as allow always. if you have any suggestions i would apprecieate it. i run both spy blaster and spybot on my other computer but i only have the xp firewall on that one.

5. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Nothing constructive from me at this point -- just a few observations. First, I have three different machines here, each with a distinct OS. Each of these machines has a different software firewall (and from different vendors, I might add) on it. SpyBot S&D is installed on all three and I have no similar behavior occurring here. Also, the fact that the XP box running ICF does not experience this behavior is somewhat irrelevant; ICF provides no outbound control whatsoever.

Under the circumstances, I would be inclined to suspect some sort of bizarre (and unanticipated) reaction between either SpyBot S&D or Spy Blaster and System Suite. Again I have never even seen System Suite. Do they have a User Forum or NNTP newsgroup where you might further inquire? Perhaps some online tech support feature?

However, if you do learn something informative, please be sure and post it here so that others will know. Tomorrow, another individual using a different OS, a different software firewall, or even something other than SpyBot S&D might profit from that information. (Come to think of it, there's a SpyBot forum somewhere.)

At this point, I'm going to have to turn this subject over and hope that someone else here may have something better to offer you.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If it is any help, The SS firewall is a version of Sygate, so a visit to the Sygate forums may help, if not email V-Com support, unlike others they do respond quite quickly.
    I have Sygate Pro5 on this PC and have Spybot application set to ask in the application list with no problems.

One other thing SS is now at version 5

Pilli

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The system suite is a good set of programs, I have used it when it was ontrak and after they changed to v-com. I really hope you get it straightened out. I had very good luck with it keeping my comp running smoothly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.