Have newbie questions about host files.

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Matt_Smi, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

In the past I have overlooked adding a hosts file to my security setup, but lately I have been doing a little but of reading about them and it seem like a GREAT way to increase your security, and the best part is that it does not use any system resources, it is almost like spyware blaster, but covers a much bigger scope. So all I need to do is download one and place it in my C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC folder and I am good to go? Then I just check back at the site periodically and if an updated version is available download it and replace the old one? Are there any negatives to using a host file? I heard they can slow down your computer on XP, but if you disable the DNS Client service this should not be a problem. I already downloaded Hoster, which is a hosts file manger, but I am not sure were to get my hosts file, these two sites seem popular http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and http://www.hosts-file.net/ it either a good site to get it from? Anything else I should know before setting up my hosts file? Thanks.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Correct, just remove the .TXT extension from the downloaded file.

Again correct.

Not that I have found to date.

Correct.

I started with that however I’ve just started using B.I.S.S. Host Manager from www.bluetack.co.uk together with their Hosts file as well, the reasons for this I mention here.

I’m using Bluetacks now, see above link.

No, seems you have a good handle on it, just make sure you make the hosts file “Read Only”.

Hope this helps…

Cheers :D

4. cluessnewbie

cluessnewbie Guest

Technically incorrect. Everytime you do a DNS lookup, your computer will have to consult your hosts file, the larger it is, the more time it takes.

On modern machines, this is insignificant however , even if hosts files are inefficient.

That is true, but even without this problem, slowdowns can be significant if you have a big host files and a very old computer. Another problem with hosts files is that you will occasionally run into situations where sites are wrongly blocked.

[/QUOTE]

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

If I use my host of SpyBlocker, my computer turns out very very slow...I need to do a hard reboot.
    If I disable however the dns service and ipsec service then it's ok again.

Inf.

6. cluessnewbie

cluessnewbie Guest

Totally different problem, infinity. I'm referring to the inefficency of hosts file as flat files, the fact that entries have to be fully qualified domain names, no regexp support, without running a server of somekind (eg edexter), times out to 127.0.0.1 might take a while and many other disadvanatages of hosts files compared to other methods of filtering .

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

treewalk is an option as a DNS server/cache
    simple to configure
    light. fast.
    www.ntcanuck.com
    really decent, but you may run into trouble with certain domains like '.tk'
    I've posted it's solution elsewhere [software and services] if you do get treewalk.

@Infinity
    Try not to disable IPSEC and see what happens... I have a hosts file expanded by multiple sources to about 36,670 entries, NO lag noticed ;)

8. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Allready done that. I disable all services I can at all times. if I want an update for microsoft then I enable first the update service and help service. all the rest is disabled as much as possible...

@ Clueless: yep, I know it's not that efficient and a little old/prehistoric but I still use it eventhough the sites I visit nowadays are less "dangerous" then I used to visit a while back *puppy*

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.