Have lost all faith in Zemana!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

When I first installed it, it prompted just the "right" amount of times, i.e. I knew it was doing its job but was not annoying. That, coupled with the MRG test results and the free one year license made it a great security addition. However, shortly after the first of the last few Privatefirewall updates it didn't seem to be functioning. Indeed, it couldn't pass it's own or the Spyshelter tests. So I removed Pfw and went with Comodo (firewall only) since a few members reported conflicts, but it is still not consistently passing the tests. It will for a while, then it won't work again until I run a reinstall or repair. This is just on XP 32 bit so it has nothing to do with 64 bit. If I see a Spyshelter discount I'm just going to move to it. Any theories? Thank you!

2. guest

guest Guest

I had the same problem than you are experiencing but in x64 with Zemana a fresh win7 x64 installation. Maybe you can get in contact with Zemana to see if they can solve the problem.

Since then I'm using spyshelter without problems, the support is excellent and fast and the development quite active but is not only and antilogger it's a full HIPS, although with the default settings does not give many popups. I you don't want the "full HIPS" you can simply disable the "system protection" module. I have use it together with Private Firewall (I removed pf because the x64 HIPS is not at the same level than the x86) and Comodo without any problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Are all your settings at default? Is the failure consistently repeatable? i.e. e.g. it will always pass the test first time, then it will fail thereafter until a reinstall

4. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

You mention Zemana re-install. Did you actually uninstall it first?

5. ratchet

It may pass several times. Also don't experience the problem on a Vista laptop.

6. ratchet

I believe I've tried both!

7. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

The reason that I asked is that a number of people have had a similar problem with the PF/Zemana combo (PF is quite intrusive). But after uninstalling PF, Zemana reboot, then installation of Zemana cleared things up in those cases.

8. Scoobs72

One of the latest releases of PF added anti-keylogger protection so it's not unsurprising that PF+Zemana would now produce conflicts.

Ratchet, I think the only way to resolve this is to determine a repeatable set of sequences leading to a failure scenario. Also you didn't say whether all your settings were on defaults. One final thing - I believe Comodo (even just the firewall component) has some cloud based scanning which can interfere with keylogger tests.

9. ratchet

That's interesting! Does test = real life threat I wonder?

10. Scoobs72

Well, that's always been the problem with these synthetic tests. What they don't do is replicate the number one real-life 'keylogging' scenario, which is form-grabbing, as used by Zeus, Spyeye, Carberp etc. And whilst I've no particular reason to doubt their integrity, using simulators produced by the manufacturers of anti-keylogging software to test the effectiveness of anti-keylogging software is fatally flawed from a scientific perspective. Independent tests using real-life malware or software that mimics the exact mechanisms used by real-life malware is the only reliable and truthful mechanism.

11. ratchet

Admittedly, it is somewhat early yet, but Zemana does seem up to par for almost 24 hours since I uninstalled it and reinstalled with Comodo Firewall (firewall only) already installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.