Have ESS but Installation of Windows XP & Office Updates Keep Failing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MrChooks, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrChooks

MrChooks Registered Member

Hi ESS Team:
    I have just received brand new computer - O/S is Windows XP (SP 3). All is working, managed to download and install SP 3 but there are about 12 updates that have been auto downloaded from MS but they refuse to install.

I have Eset SS (ESS) for internet security, but even if I disable both the firewall and anti virus functions, the installation fails for all 12 updates.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get these downloads (some of which are marked as critical) to install pls

See the report from the update installation below

The following updates were not installed:

Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB946983)
    Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB947801)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB946974)
    Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB946691)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 (KB950114)
    Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Junk Email Filter (KB95037:cool:
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB950113)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB95180:cool:
    2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 (KB923689)
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB950759)
    Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. MrChooks

Tks Ron - will do, as its starnge - all seems to be working OK except for these "rogue" installations

4. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

aye I would not say its Eset that is causing the problem. but something messed up in the update. time to ask Microsoft sorry bro no help here =(

5. MrChooks

Fajo I am sure you are right - it feels to me something like a Win XP issue - but thought i would ask here, just in case there was an ESS "disable" that I had missed.

I have only had ESS for a day - and so far it has been great - heaps better than my previous ISP provided security suite :D

6. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Any chance you have installed TuneUp Utilities on your computer?

7. MrChooks

No Pat - nothing sexie like that for this IT fraidie cat - but am pleased to report problem solved.:D

I got some feed back from a MS techie which worked like a treat - even if I was scared out of my wits before I did it.:eek:

In case it might help other forum members - have posted the steps that worked for me below:

"Give this a try:
    There are a number of things that can break Windows Update in Windows XP, including performing a repair/reinstall. For a fix, try these next steps:

Open Notepad or WordPad and copy/paste the following text:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 atl.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml2.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
    end

Save the file to your desktop as UpdatesFix.cmd (you'll have to click the "Save As Type…. Dropdown arrow on the right of the selection window and select "All Files" before you click the Save button).

If you'd rather not try the batch file, you can enter each line in the Run box one at a time and click OK after each one.

Double-click the UpdatesFix.cmd file; a command window will open, and you'll see a series of dialogue boxes saying DLLRegisterServer in *.dll succeeded. Click OK to step through the process.
    Once all the dll's have been successfully reregistered visit the Windows Update site and try the Windows updates again to see if it works correctly.
    "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.