Have any of you seen this error message?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 357mag, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

From time to time when I have gone into Acronis and hit the Recover button to restore my machine from the backup image, when the computer reboots and I'm placed at the desktop I see this error message:

"The system has recovered from a serious error."

Then below that there is an option to send the error info to Microsoft.

I have only noticed this message when I've hit the Recover button in Acronis, although you can see this error message in other ways also.

I went to the Microsoft site and printed off some info. Basically they said something like this error message happens because after a Minidump file is written, the paging file continues to have a flag set that indicates that a Minidump file must be written.

They suggest obtaining the latest service pack for XP. Their link says wxp_sp1. Well I'm using SP2 so I don't see how the problem couldn't already be fixed.

They also discussed a workaround by going into the paging file and doing some changes there.

I was wondering if any of you have seen this error message on your screen after restoring your computer from a backup image.

2. tony_dutta

tony_dutta Registered Member

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I think this is just because you are intiating a restore of sthe system drive from within Windows. I forget the precise detail, but there's a flag Win looks at upon boot to tell if it closed down nicely or not. When the restore of a system drive is initiated within Win, the flag is not set correctly.

If you start a resotre from the CD, there shold be no prob with the flag. Other than nuisance, I think it's innocuous.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

:)
    What happens on the next reboot?

In most cases, this error only is seen on the first boot after a restore and it is really not significant. Mark it down to Windows being unhappy that you messed with it and just make a habit of rebooting twice after a restore.

There are more important things to worry about than this. :)

5. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I've only gotten the message upon the initial restore from a backup image. After that, everything is normal.

I think you're correct about the minidump file. This appears to be an extremely common error message that millions of Windows users have seen. It appears to be a bug within XP itself.

Excuse me John, but when the only error and the only problem I have with my machine is seeing this error message when I use Acronis, I think I have every right to post.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.