Have any of you seen this error message?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 357mag, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

From time to time when I have gone into Acronis and hit the Recover button to restore my machine from the backup image, when the computer reboots and I'm placed at the desktop I see this error message:

"The system has recovered from a serious error."

Then below that there is an option to send the error info to Microsoft.

I have only noticed this message when I've hit the Recover button in Acronis, although you can see this error message in other ways also.

I went to the Microsoft site and printed off some info. Basically they said something like this error message happens because after a Minidump file is written, the paging file continues to have a flag set that indicates that a Minidump file must be written.

They suggest obtaining the latest service pack for XP. Their link says wxp_sp1. Well I'm using SP2 so I don't see how the problem couldn't already be fixed.

They also discussed a workaround by going into the paging file and doing some changes there.

I was wondering if any of you have seen this error message on your screen after restoring your computer from a backup image.

2. tony_dutta

tony_dutta Registered Member

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I think this is just because you are intiating a restore of sthe system drive from within Windows. I forget the precise detail, but there's a flag Win looks at upon boot to tell if it closed down nicely or not. When the restore of a system drive is initiated within Win, the flag is not set correctly.

If you start a resotre from the CD, there shold be no prob with the flag. Other than nuisance, I think it's innocuous.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

:)
    What happens on the next reboot?

In most cases, this error only is seen on the first boot after a restore and it is really not significant. Mark it down to Windows being unhappy that you messed with it and just make a habit of rebooting twice after a restore.

There are more important things to worry about than this. :)

5. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I've only gotten the message upon the initial restore from a backup image. After that, everything is normal.

I think you're correct about the minidump file. This appears to be an extremely common error message that millions of Windows users have seen. It appears to be a bug within XP itself.

Excuse me John, but when the only error and the only problem I have with my machine is seeing this error message when I use Acronis, I think I have every right to post.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.