has anyone got an HP printer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

is it OK to disable all the rubbish this HP printer puts in startup?

hp digital imaging monitor
    hp image zone
    hp software update - im going to disable this anyway.

hpzlnt12.dll - i might not touch that unless someone knows better.

which do you think broke the way xp shuts down. this printer or NET.Framework? shutdown just hangs now, i have to turn it off with the power button. if it breaks my HDD at some point because something is being written as it shuts down i don't mind loosing junk but i do care about loosing Ubuntu, so i want to fix it.

so far it's taken about 3 hours fixing things, or manually installing stuff the install couldn't, to get this printer to work, now XP is broken. it's just like the last time i used XP - install something then spend a few hours fixing everything then boot back into Ubuntu. i don't know why i bother with XP anymore i really don't like it. i've got to install a camera next.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Ice,

In most cases, yes. HP usually gives you the option to download the drivers only. That is what I do. I really get annoyed at the bloatware that they have.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I have a HPDeskjet 960C and all that crap in the startup is turned off.:)

Now for hpzlnt12.dll I don't see it either... but I don't remember having it
    turned off.:doubt:

4. Snowie

Snowie Guest

ICE

Suggestion:

Un-install BOTH.......then re-install your PRINTER....if everything works...

The re-install dot net ...........

if you are using XP Dot Net should ALREADY have been installedo_O??

Can not say about your printer.....my experience has been to immediately remove printer from startup........have always done it that way......but don't know this "dll" you mentioned.....however, its not as if you are un-installing anything.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well i have an hp deskjet 5940. disabling teh startup items and setting the service to manual had no ill effects. as for "hpzlnt12.dll" i dont have it. id try uninstalling all ur printer software (and maybe .net as well). after the reboots just downlaod teh latest driver only package from hp and install it.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the help. i kept on getting an error everytime half way through the install - it looked like it was while it was installing NET framework, that's why i installed version 2. it then worked but still installed version 1.1 :rolleyes: so i'll probably uninstall version 2.

NET Framework doesn't come installed with any version of XP, it's always an extra.

i have disabled everything apart from hpzlnt12.dll in - it's the driver
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors

and -
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.1 starts from (it's a service - PML Driver HPZ12)
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

everything is working OK now, i was sick of repeating everything to get it to work that's why i posted but it seems to be OK now :cool:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  7. houseisland

houseisland Registered Member

Hi Ice.

You haven't said what model of printer yours is.

If it has a Post Script or a PCL print engine, you definitely don't need all the crap.

Find a printer shop you can trust and buy a nice refurb (late model) LJ4, LJ5, or 4050TN. You won't be sorry.

Just say "No" to inkjets. :eek:

8. shrek

shrek Guest

This should help:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_h.htm

HPZipm12.exe

HP PML Driver Service. Background task installed by the drivers for a variety of HP printers, ranging from the HP PSC 2100, 2200, 4100, and 6100 series of multifunction printers, to DeskJet 6600 and 6800 series, PhotoSmart series, All‑in‑One OfficeJets, etc... This task handles non‑printing related two-way communications between the PC and the HP printer. Typically, on DeskJet and InkJet printers it will handle status-type communications such as ink levels, paper‑empty conditions, etc..., and will feed that information back to an HP icon in the System Tray. In the case of more advanced printers, such as All‑in‑One printers or PhotoSmart printers, it handles additional non‑printing related communications such as scanning and photocopying events, access to the card reader, etc...

Recommendation :
    Because of its role as, effectively, a printer status information gathering task, this task should be left running since, without it, you will not get useful information from the System Tray HP icon for your printer which will think the printer is disconnected. However, some versions of this task have been more than problematic, with serious conflicts with specific software packages (Sage Accounting with some versions of this task), or with “Unable to Start driver” errors on boot-up. If you experience problems with this task, first ensure that your firewall allows this task to communicate – if your firewall is preventing the task from talking to things external to the PC then this task will not work properly (Note: at the time of writing, 25‑Sep‑2005, the Windows XP and Norton Firewalls allow this task to communicate by default, so you should not need to configure them). Next, if you still have problems, see on our Drivers page if there are newer drivers for your printers which might correct the problem. If problems still remain after the above then disable this task on the Startups tab in Windows 98/ME, or, in Windows 2000/XP, locate it on the Services tab and set its Startup Mode to Disabled.
    As Hewlett‑Packard themselves state : “Most if not all printing functions will work without it, and print quality and speed are not affected by this. However, other functions of the printer driver may be disabled. If a feature is noticed to be missing, the PML driver service can be manually started as described above. Remember to disable the PML driver service again before restarting the computer”.

9. danky

danky Guest

i do and i got an HP psc, and that HPZipm12.exe doesnt need to be running for me.. i dont no why it leaves hidden 1x1.tff images and junk allover my disktop though! hmm, I havent really gotten time to remove aol shite, and everything else thats preintsalled, by emachines :rolleyes: i guess i can start cleaning up

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's a psc 1610, i was going to get a laser printer but then i noticed it only printed in black and white http://www.sarahow.co.uk/blog.html_/smilies/shock.gif so i just got the printer that was easiest to install on Ubuntu.

i knew you shouldn't disable HPZipm12.exe :p i might try it though and see if it still works for me too. thanks for helping me but i've done all i'm going to do today. my stupid camera doesn't work, i don't care anymore i'll get a picture of whatever i need from google image and use GIMP to change it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.