has anyone been able to use firewire with rescue disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Larrycleve, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larrycleve

Larrycleve Registered Member

I've been trying to do this with all versions of 9 and 8 with no luck. I have an acomdata firewire drive. It keeps giving the sbp-2 timeout error. Also where are these new versions of 9, 2283 and 2300 something. I went to the web site for updates and it's still showing version 2277. Thanks.o_O

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Larrycleve

Sorry do no have a answer to that other then firewire is old and slow. [not much help I know :doubt: ]
    I would like an answer to that also, seen many new build numbers mentioned but none on Acronis download page or my Registered Product Page.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Larrycleve

I have an idea that the problem is that acronis is using old linux firewire driver code on its rescue disk. I googled sbp-2 timeout and came up with numerous posts from 2004 on linux forums with this problem. The answer always given was to use newer firewire code and links to it were given. I know nothing about programming or linux but this seems to be heading in the right direction.

4. gue_st

gue_st Guest

It may be of course old, but not slow.

5. Larrycleve

Tried version 2289. Still won't see firewire drive with rescue disk and still gives same error message.

6. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

Yes, I have been using firewire (also USB 2.0 sometimes) with TI8. It is recognized by the bootable CD.

Note that I always attached the external hard rive **before** I boot with the rescue CD.

I also always make the complete CD, with all drivers. This is called the "full version" in TI8 menu for the bootable CD.

I have found that backup/restore with firewire is as fast as with USB 2.0, and only slightly slower than from a second internal hard drive.

My external firewire drives are Lacie and Buslink brands.

You might want to test your external drive, associated PC's firewire controller, and cable by copying a few GB of files with windows explorer, watching for problems. I mention this since I once seemed to have a USB problem that was really a poor mechanical connection between the cable and the PC.

You could also test the firewire by using KNOPPIX, which is free LINUX variation that boots from a CD. It does not install on your hard drve, so it is "safe". The CD is full (650 Meg), and has a wide selection of drivers, automatically picks the right ones, and seems to runs on most hardware. Repeat the copy test from the KNOPPIX desktop, using its equivalent of explorer. KNOPPIX is also available as a DVD download, with additional software. http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

7. Larrycleve

I tried the knoppix cd version 4.02. As it was loading it said that the firewire device was detected and enabled. Unfortunately when it got to the linux desktop my usb mouse wouldn't work. However it would appear that it detected my firewire hard drive. The question is now how do I use this to get the ti rescue disk to see the firewire drive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.