Has anybody checked this site out?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Escalader, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

A friend of mine sent me this site.

It claims to check your browser settings for secure settings but I note it is not https itself AND it asks user to either down arrow in private information boxes or enter the first digit/character of you name etc.

At this time of year particularly, I don't like the look of it myself. FWIW I submitted site to McAfee for "analysis",

"http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/12/09/free-identity-theft-test/"

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Yeah that looks legit....

I have heard of PCPITstop before, and they are a normal company, but this may be a clone so i probably wouldent enter my info if i were you :D

3. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I just read some of this,I think it's basically telling you how secure your browser is.There's settings at the bottom to tighten up IE and Firefox.I don't think that Pitstop would issue something that would harm you.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I've used PC Pitstop for years. Very legit. They just recently tweaked the interface. Run the "Full Tests" from the column on the left. It's unbelievable how much good information you get. You get a percentage where your CPU, memory, drive capacity, video, etc. ranks in comparison to all users and users with your specs as well. It's truly comprehensive.

http://www.pcpitstop.com

You may have to sign-up (free) to use the full tests, but all the benchmarks, etc are kept in your account and you can compare them over time. I love the site.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

PC PitStop is a legitimate site and if you click on Info Centers > Help & Support, you'll see a section called TechTalk, however, I would never type my private details into those boxes when you can type fictitious numbers and see the same end result.

6. Escalader

Thanks to everyone who replied. It makes me feel better re Pit Stop!

I agree not to type in any legit data but I have no clue on how to tell if this is a clone site?

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Escalader, if you follow the links, starting from the one I offered, the site reveals the same URL as your first post. You could always check with Whois.DomainTools.com for any suspected clones.

8. Escalader

Okay! Great, thanks a lot! Post and learn the big advantage of WSF!

9. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Interesting one, thanks.

The only problem is they're not even able to pick my own IP correctly: not_my_IP.png
    I should be thousands miles away, in another country, with another ISP! :doubt:

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ruinebabine, that IP Address using NetworkSolutions WHOIS and DNSstuff.com resolves to the same information found with DomainTools. That IP Address is owned by AT&T and perhaps your country's ISP is subcontracting with an American company.

11. ruinebabine

See now, after 2 quick refreshes:
    not_my_IP_03.png

not_my_IP_05.png

I don't think that my direct internet connection is related to those ones either...

I use Robin Keir's IP2 to know my real current IP, and DNSstuff.com seems to be the only one that picks it up correctly.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ruinebabine, I get what you're doing now. So, using the My IP Address feature at DomainTools shows a different address every time. I'm not familiar with the K-Meleon browser, does it obscure IP addresses by default or is your IP hidden via a proxy server? Does http://checkip.dyndns.org show the correct one?

I downloaded IP2, ran it and it shows my IP address being the same as DomainTools and DNSstuff so I'm wondering why yours, if it is static, comes out different. o_O

13. ruinebabine

Hi JRViejo,

First, checkip.dyndns.org is also showing another randomly false IP address. But I see now what was happening, my bad. I had forgot that, some days ago, I was experimenting with my Proxomitron settings by merging some of my oldish config files. And I see now that my current config makes use of some IP spoofing filters derived from the "JakxPack IV" filterpack.

From the "JakxPack" readme file:
    "This filter pack makes your actual IP appear to be a "Remote Proxy" out on the net & it spoofs the servers into thinking that the fake Headers are the "real thing". Those filters are "site specific" so when the URL is appended to any randomly choosen set of headers, as long as you stay on that site, those particular Headers will be forwarded to their server. But you must remember, some sites will not log the fake IPs, they will only log your actual IP! The only real way to keep your true IP hidden is to use an "anonymous remote proxy". But even then retrival Java Applets can "grab" your IP even though you might chained through a thousand remote proxies! So just remember, complete "ANONYMITY" on the internet is a myth! But for the most part, these filters will "spoof" most sites and keep a high level of privacy & security to your computer's personal ID."

Btw, from within the limited value of those crude spoofing technics, it was interesting to see that only DNSstuff was correctly identifying my IP address among the servers tried here.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing that info. Perhaps DNSstuff is using server variables in the form code to identify the real IP address. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.