Hardware switch for bootable drives

Discussion in 'hardware' started by lucas1985, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Article
    switch.jpg

I think it may be useful for some folks around here :)

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Nice find Lucas,

It looks like it could also be useful to keep a data drive offline while your online :). Once my piggy bank starts to rattle again, I may have to get one.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Interesting and useful no less.

Thanks lucas for the really nice screenshot. Like innerpeace, when my jingles start to ring again this is something i have to look into. It gets just a bit tedious pulling & changing cable plugs all the time like i do now.

ErikAlbert ask me awhile back how i done so much jockeying with INTERNAL hard drives and gave him the only answer i could, i keep my PC unit's side panel off. :cool:

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

LOL. Exactly what I do and the case sits up at desktop level to the right so it's easy to plug/unplug ide/sata drives of which I have a dozen or so with Windows/Linux systems.:D

Of course I have to mark each drives operating system with a black texta or else I wouldn't know where I was! o_O

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Very nice find. Makes typical dual-booting or other multiple hdd set-ups, dare I say, obsolete. Have a minor rebuild\upgrade coming for my tower. I can see one of these being thrown into the mix. :thumb:

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

ROFL :D

Yeah, i even resort to winging it myself when it comes to jumper pin settings since i like to keep at least some of the internal HD's in their respective slots, i just perform the usual process of elimination till the dual-boot drives boots up normally.

It's weird, all these different HD manufacturers like Seagate, WesternDigital, even old Quantumm and one oddball Hitachi drive "ALL" have their respective Slave/Master positions differently.

I'm getting familiar with them better now, since i can only see their pin plug ends but i'll eventually jot down a short sketch of those placements i suppose and leave that drawing in the case for when i take an extended absence from these machines for awhile.

Because every time i been away for very long i lose track again :D

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just get some sata drives they dont have master and slave plugs so less user error:D

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have a dumb question:
    How does this thingie integrate into the case?
    Mrk

9. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Fits into a 3.5" bay. There are 3 power connectors. One from the PSU. Two that go the hard drives you want to connect\control. Only disadvantage I see is it is not hot swappable. The PC has to be off before the selector knob will function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.