Hardware ISR?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chris12923, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Interesting-have also found at least another 10 cards not yet mentioned after a bit of research.

It seems they really arent a novelty after all and have existed for a long time,except the cards havent been actively marketed in the West,or sales didnt take off because many consumers want to try first.

They seem very common in China and there is even a manufacturer of auto toilet flushing systems who also makes them.

One company in Huntington sells a card for $15 which seems to have similar functions to FD-Rescue here.

So these hardware ISR cards are readily available and the next crucial step is deciding their worth.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The backup/restore of BIOS/CMOS and HDD protection against low level changes, format, fdisk, ... are the most interesting features to me, because I don't have that kind of protection yet.

The snapshot possibilities are probably poor and if they are present, they are point-in-time snapshots, that only keep the changes of the basic snapshot in order to use as less space as possible on the harddisk.

So I don't expect permanent snapshots from these ISR-cards and if it's possible, it's probably some kind of integrated backup/restore solution, which won't be so fast anymore as the ISR-card.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  3. Hairy Coo

I think that most motherboards now have built in protection for the BIOS/CMOS.
    For example,my Gigabyte board with Award BIOS,has a function called DualBios ,which will automatically boot from the backup BIOS if required.
    Only useful once,when I overclocked too much-shouldnt generally be necessary in my experience.

The snapshot possibilities are there in the cards where software is present,such as Radix Protector,but you can only go back-not forward once a previous image has been restored.
    Probably its only a matter of time before more useful software is developed.

The cards which rely only on drivers seem simpler in their capabilities,but probably would suit the same kind of market as FDISR-Rescue.

The advantages of cards for the developers I suppose are that they cannot be pirated and for the user potentially faster actions.

The $15 card I mentioned in the last post seems interesting for a basic solution.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Even when the snapshot possibilities look like FDISR Rescue, it's still less than the real FDISR. To me ISR-cards are just an option for the future as a possible replacement for FDISR. I prefer to wait until something else shows up.

5. Hairy Coo

I like to consider these apps, on their own merit-but they are difficult to evaluate
    That link you found- fuzing. -lists a lot of them and until they are tested and until their real functionalities are known-it seems pretty futile to get too worked up -you could well be buying headaches.

For example,one wasnt compatible on all systems,plus it slowed down the system and didnt always work-another suggested that unless the card buffer was big enough there could be problems.

edit-as a matter of morbid curiosity-downloaded the trial software(designed for laptops) of a typical product, which has exactly the same functionally and GUI as the hardware version-all fairly crude and basic, with nice little touches such as requiring a password to boot into Windows,but until you are in Windows,you cant find out what it is...
    Seems typical of most of them,limited options and most useful with computers used in public areas,such as Internet Cafes.
    Here a hardware card probably would make sense,stopping any vandalizing of the software.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  6. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I will check these websites out. Hairy Coo can you list some of the others you found so we can look at em as well?

Thanks,

Chris

7. Hairy Coo

Just do a Google search-here is one using the query

"Recovery Cards"

Using other queries will give you more.

Edit: Also try System Recovery Cards and HDD recovery cards(leaving out " ")

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  8. Chris12923

I have been using google searches for a few days and reviewing various links but just thought that you may have came across some that would be of interest to save other people time. I think from what i have found is that juzt-reboot sounds good. You can download their manual at http://www.juzt-innovations.ie/downloads/JR-PCI-NTv8_UserManual.pdf . I'm trying to find a us reseller.

Thanks,

Chris

9. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Thanks for all the effort on this guys - this thread is making for interesting reading. While im fairly adept with using software isr solutions, hardware isr is a new realm for me to delve into.

10. Hairy Coo

Check out my post 76-that one could be of vague interest,especially as it only costs $15 and is available in Indiana.

I tried out Juzt-reboot software which is supposed to be identical in function to the hardware and wasnt impressed.

Apart from that-have lost interest until you come up with something,as I cant see any advantage over pure software and cant see any way to separate the rubbish.

Unless someone is interested from a business viewpoint and gets samples,its an impossible task

As you can see by Googling-there are so many alternatives,possibly 50,maybe a lot more ,didnt count-that it seems a wild goose chase to some extent.

Most seem to be somewhat similar,except some will be troublesome-possibly with buffer or pure reliability problems.Some hardware will be faulty on delivery,as seemed to be the case with the Jackson Armour Card

Why dont you buy a typical one and give us a report :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  11. Hairy Coo

Chrome-

Unfortunately as I said,its not very rewarding-its going nowhere, as there are so may to choose from and almost none have been evaluated.
    The only proper way to do it is to buy samples for those selected ones, which seem to have the best specifications,otherwise you could end up with a large carton of junk.

12. Chris12923

Here are some reviews of Juzt-reboot http://www.juzt-reboot.com.my/English/reviews.htm

I'm not sure the usa price for it but if it is reasonable I may purchase it and at that time glad to do a review. Understandably the UI may be a little basic since it is stored on the chip but as long as it's not to crude it should be ok for me.

thanks,

Chris

13. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

In fact, There are more than 250,000 internet cafes with 30 million computers in china. that is the chief maket for hardware(PCI type) ISR which called recovery card(less than $1 USD per unit in china).

These ISR often are designed for public computers not home users.

1)They have the fixed disk space for cache(often less than 4GB as I know).
    2)If cache is overflow, a simple BSOD and reboot the system.

in internet cafe, that is acceptable. but for home users......, good lucky:D

14. Hairy Coo

Thats exactly the impression I had also.

What is the advantage over software and roughly how many manufacturers are there,any idea?

15. Chris12923

1. yes most are under 4G for instant recovery including juzt-reboot but for recovery backup it is only limited to drive space available similar to FDISR.
    2. juzt-reboot will give warning and ask user for input.

I really hope price is right so i can test this thing out :)

Thanks,

Chris

16. Hairy Coo

Chris

As I mentioned I'm sure the $15 one is going to be similar and its available!

17. Chris12923

ugh..I just received back an email from juzt-reboot. It seems English is not there first language even though it says it is in alaska so not all my questions were answered correctly if at all. It appears that from their answers it is not as good as sfire card I mentioned above..

hairy the card you mentioned for 15.00 I can not use as it is only a restore on reboot with no other snapshots. I prefer more than one snapshot. :(

Thanks,

Chris

18. Hairy Coo

Made in Malaysia!

Have a look at Jackson Armor here

May suit! Local also!

19. Chris12923

Don't know what made me skip over it last time I looked maybe because it doesn't say it supports vista which is what im using. I'll call them monday and ask some questions. But I am a little concerned when you choose home lik i get many errors, when i go to their forum its a blank page, when i try to get purchase order it's 404 error. I'll still call them on monday. And it's 39.00 which is great price. Also 8 gig buffer.

Thanks,

Chris

20. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

:cool: intersting. it is still a chinese OEM product. Just check the second sector with SectorEditor.

21. Hairy Coo

I was referring to JuztReboot being Malaysian:)

Thats why Chris had language problems,somehow.

22. reco

reco Registered Member

There are cards circulating below the 10-dollar mark.

As mentioned before: bulk operations can obtain recovery cards for a dollar a unit.

A Sentry model (link follows) retails for $7, with free shipping.
    http://www.724deal.com/sentry-hardware-based-pc-recovery-pci-card-675.html

There are also some on ebay for about the same price:
    http://search.ebay.com/recovery-card_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40

Of interest, also on ebay: an Australian retailer (of a $16 card) has good information and a 4-minute video (see ebay link above). The seller is also open to questions.

For $7, why not (someone) give it a whirl?

If true performance gains (speed) and space savings (less disk usage) can be obtained, might this truely be a superior solution to software?

Interested in group thoughts.

Based on this link provided earlier:
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/Recovery_Card.html

--it would appear there are quite a few advanced options, such as the "instant" recovery card.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  23. reco

reco Registered Member

Advantage of hardware over software:

*ability to run in BIOS mode independent of the OS(s)
    *no impact on system performance (does not use ANY system resources).

Regarding the 1gig buffer mentioned earlier, there are a few models (sub $10) that offer ulimited buffers, multiple restore points, and vista compatibility.

Ebay example:
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=recovery reborn

Cleaner, more modern-looking version, claiming "3 sec" recovery:
    http://magicreboot.com/index.php?szNav=home

Another with ulimited buffer (Canadian):
    http://www.ezrecoverycard.com/product.htm

Option I'm currently considering:
    http://www.instantrecovery.net/price.htm

Instantrecovery.net appears to: stand behind its unlimited buffer product, have US operations, firmware updates, and a lowest-price guarantee. The product supports multiple restore points, Vista (32/64).

Alternatively, the MagicReboot product offers (possible newer) ulimited buffer technology, 11 bootable partitions--worthy of consideration as well.

Comments?

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Some look so cheap, $7- too good to be true! Not sure.

25. Hairy Coo

Recco,

There are hundreds available, do a Google,impossible to cover all of them,but QQ2595 says"These ISR often are designed for public computers not home users.

1)They have the fixed disk space for cache(often less than 4GB as I know).
    2)If cache is overflow, a simple BSOD and reboot the system. "

If you want to test one which the distributors say,the software gives similar functions to the hardware version try this here.

if you read the whole thread,it seems the hardware versions just cant compare with the software,except on price and a lot have dubious reliability.

Would be interesting if you did a test on a selected hardware version

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.