Hardware ISR?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chris12923, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Ok I typed a long post and something happened and my IE locked up. So in short Radix Protector can not go back and forth between snapshots only backward. This will not work for me so i will stay using a software version. They did say Radix Reload which is their software product has been around for 7 years. If I am not mistaken Rollback Rx has not been around as long. I may try Reload just to see how simialr it is to Rollback. I assume it's going to be very close if not the same. Although on the net I can't find anything about Reload before version 8. But I'll start a new thread at that time since we will no longer be talking about Hardware ISR's. Please check my next post in this thread for another hardware product that I ran across that seems it might be a viable alternative.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. Chris12923

Another product from http://www.valtx.com/ seems like it would work the guy is calling me here soon I hope to give me more info. the way it seems right now it would take a while to set it up initially. Here is the email from earlier.

"1. Does the user need to create the partitions that the hardware

stores the protected system on?

Yes, you'll need to create partition(s) that you'll need for the protected
    area that the OS installed on.

You can create up to 8 Drives on one hard drive.

2. Is it possible to defrag the drive after the hardware instalation?

Yes, it is possible.

3. Is it possible to use another imager like Shadow Protect or True

Image to copy the system in its current state?

Yes, you can use problem mention above and you can also use Symantec Ghost.

4. Can protection be disabled?

Yes it can be disabled. (Only the user with an Admin password can do
    that)

5. Can a motherboard slot other than PCI be used (is there a PC1e model)

Yes, we have the PCIe model available.

6. If the card stops working, will the computer start without any BIOS

adjustments.

If some how the card becomes defective the computer will NOT be able to
    boot but once the card is replaced the computer will resume the previous
    state.

7. Would the card prevent something like the 'killdisk' virus from

destroying info on the drive?

Yes, the card will prevent anyone or any programs from deleting or
    changing its contents when it's in PROTECTED MODE.

Can I post the answers in the forum I frequent so other users can

benefit from them. Also any other info you would like to provide on

the workings of the product I would share with the forum as well.

Please, feel free to do so.

I also attached in this email a copy of the manual that should explain how
    this device works."

.pdf file http://www.mediafire.com/?2n0lzlhth2n

Thanks,

Chris

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That makes it indeed useless for me. I can't create permanent snapshots this way. I must be able to boot in snapshot 1 upto 5 at free will. Not versatile enough, too primitive, although I would like to have the BIOS/CMOS protection.

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Got the impression it was EazyFix version 8,as the uninstaller said Eazyfix.(its the same I know).

edit; Protector has suddenly lost its interest,but it would have been informative to know what advantage was considered achievable by especially using hardware.

Cant quite see that Valtx could create any interest,as it doesnt even appear to be available for sale to the public.

Re BIOS protection,this has already been built in by some motherboard manufacturers,like Gigabyte.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  5. Chris12923

OK just got off the phone with tech support from valtx about the other card I mentioned above. The card sounds really good. It is 150.00 with about 15.00 dollar shipping to ohio since it is coming from Canada. partitions can be cloned with Ghost and some other imaging apps as well. It does not protect cmos and bios settings though like some of the other cards but I guess nothings perfect. It also comes with a year warranty. I'm really wanting to bite on this thing.

I just saw your edit Protector has suddenly lost its interest,but it would have been informative to know what advantage was considered achievable by especially using hardware.
    Well with valtx there is no drivers or software running inside windows and no known issues with any software incompatibilities.

Thanks,

Chris

6. ErikAlbert

7. Hairy Coo

Cant quite understand all that,could you tell more?.

Presumably drivers would have to be running in Windows and unless its another Linux/WinPE recovery deal,or a pre Windows driver DOS UI,so would software-for example,how else are you going to look at a GUI. in Windows.
    Theorising-a hardware /software solution would run its functions faster than pure software,as it may contain its own chip and circuitry to enable this,placing less reliance on the CPU.

As previously mentioned,most motherboard manufacturesr have built in BIOS/CMOS protection,so this isnt a big deal,except it would be faster to recover.

Are you able to give a link for public purchase etc?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  8. Hairy Coo

What is your opinion about this one?

Sounds expensive-as the private user isnt targetted .

9. ErikAlbert

The problem with all these hardware cards is that they talk more about the restoration speed, than anything else, which is of course the eye-catcher of this solution.
    Juzt-Reboot restores a complete system partition in 1 second, even when the HDD is completely zero-ed, which has been tested by users according my dutch readings (year 2003).
    But they hardly talk about the snapshot or backup possibilities and the limitations of this solution. They all seem to have an ugly and sober GUI, which is typical for software related to hardware.

I have to read more about these hardware cards to get familiar with the concept in general. It sounds all very fantastic, but everything has its good side and its bad side. I read only the good side and the bad side usually appears when you start using this solution.
    It's certainly a good remedy against low level HDD changes. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  10. Chris12923

Well the card has its own interface built in which loads before windows. There is no windows UI. You can reach sales Tel: 1-800-361-0067 (North America) or Tel: 1-416-746-6669 if you have tech questions ask for Jim in tech support. He is very nice and had no trouble talking answering any questions I asked and didn't try to rush me at all.

About juzt-reboot I looked at the site before Erik posted it and it sounded more like a restore at reboot only but then I loooked at it again and saw it might work as well. Let me take another look and post back.

Thanks,

Chris

11. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

The PCI hardware is designed for HOOKing the int 13 for ISR solution.

When BIOS starts, it will check the PCI BUS and see if there is some PCI hardware has the boot ROM(end with sign $AA55). If exists, the BIOS will load the boot ROM(which includes the code from PCI hardware company).

The code will hook the int 13(before disk driver is loaded, bootloader uses the int 13 to read/write disk), and holds the changes to the disk.

BTW, Radix reload is a OEM product from china.

int 13 = interrupt 13. it is a standard disk read/write routine supported by BIOS.

12. Hairy Coo

So the end result is a DOS UI driver enabled?

13. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

yes and no. The code in PCI hardware only hook the int 13. when bootloader(ntoskrnl.exe) loaded all the boot=0 type driver, the int 13 will be disabled and Windows will load the driver of ISR solution for Windows. that is a relay race.:D

IMO, That is a very old technology which is popular in last century.
    Now, it is the age for new ones like SD/Returnil.

14. Chris12923

Ok i just thought of something. Most of these cards have to be assigned buffer space. The problem I have read that it's possible the buffer can run out as stated on juzt-reboot website. Now I am wandering with sfire from valtx if I have 8 partitions for my snapshots do i still need to leave extra room/partition for the buffer area?

I do like that you are still protected with juzt-reboot if the card fails. I just looked more at juzt-reboot and it does look good with the only downside is that it requires drivers and has a max approx. 1 gig buffer. I think I will call them in the morning and ask some questions and ask about pricing.

Thanks,

Chris

15. Chris12923

Why is it old technology? What can returnil and SD do that is any better than hardware solutions?

Thanks,

Chris

16. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

1)PCI hardware ISR only can be used in desktop computer not Laptop one. How to open the Laptop and plug in the PCI one?

2)Before decide to buy, how to test these type software?

3)PCI hardware also need to hook the int 19 to get the control right. and these often do not have good compatibility with new mainboard.

In china, the PCI hardware of ISR solution becomes the part to prevent pirate record.

White.

17. Chris12923

Old Technology because you can't install in laptop? Maybe the cost is to high to make for laptops or not enough demand.

Old technology because you can't trial it? I don't agree. EDIT: So since I can't trial a pc I order from tigerdirect the pc is old technology?

As far as hooking int 19 with PCI cards on new mainboards you maybe right because valtx support said that the pci does sometimes have issues with some new mainboards thats why he recommends the pci-e card.

In america it may help prevent pirate records too :)

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  18. Hairy Coo

So probably this is an argument for hardware based ISRs for the developer.

19. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

before the year of 2000, there are more computers with Win9x and DOS system than NT4/2000. There are some advantages for the PCI ISR at that time.

1) hook the int 13 which suppored by Win9x and DOS during the whole process from system boot to system shutdown.

2) forbid sytem to boot from floppy disk/cd-rom/lan to prevent the guys in public internet cafe to disable the hook of int 13.

that is what a pure driver can not do.

Since Win2000/XP become more popular after year of 2000, the one like PS/RVS/SD/Shadowuser which are in pure WDM Windows drivers have all the functions which PCI ISR have.

20. Chris12923

So ps/rvs/sd/shadowuser can restore cmos/bios settings if they have been tampered with?

Thanks,

Chris

21. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

IMO, ps/rvs/sd are designed for home/small business. Some of them now have advanced fuctions for personal users. Such as : file/folder exclude, file/folder commit, virtual partition, session lock, session save.

Yes, There are still some PCI ISR which sell to public internet cafe or classs in school in the market. But Deepfreeze is the really No.1 in this market now.

Which virus or spyware do we heard that can damage the CMOS/BIOS in 2000/XP/Vista? Who can tamper with the settings of BIOS/CMOS in your personal computer?

As I know, the PCI hardware ISR only can restore some type of CMOS which have open document for developers.

White.

22. Chris12923

At least one for 2000 http://vil.nai.com/vil/Content/v_1440.htm can infect CMOS. Although not a big threat anymore but just an answer to your question.

I understand what you are trying to say. I like software ISR's too. I'm just looking at other means beside software solutions. I am having an issue with Rollback rx in the current build. I use FDISR currently but would much prefer rollback once a solution is uncovered. My issue is very rare. The other apps you mentioned are nice but so not fit my needs. More input is appreciated I am willing to listen to whatever.

Thanks,

Chris

23. ErikAlbert

Another one of $39.
    http://recoverycard.com/index.php?doc=rc_intro

24. ErikAlbert

Another one called "InstantRecovery" - no price.
    http://www.instantrecovery.net/

25. ErikAlbert

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.