hardware help (computer keeps rebooting)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

in the last 2 weeks my computer has rebooted about 5 times. sometimes it's when i have just booted and other times after a few hours. because of that i thought it probably wasn't RAM, but more likely the power supply.

eariler today i took the power supply to pieces and took out all the dust, i also made sure everything was seated correctly on the motherboard too. there didn't seem to be that much dust, but when put everything together again and turned it back on it was about 2/3rds quieter :rolleyes:

do you think that was the problem? there does seem to be a big difference with the noise level now. listening now it sounded like it was about to take off before i cleaned it lol

i want to know what else it could be incase something happens and it stops working. thanks

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Sounds like it could have been heat related sense cleaning seemed to help. One other thing that comes to mind, not hardware related. If you have any programs set to automatic update they may restart your PC after updates.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

If the dust bunnies was the problem, it would have shown as excessive heat buildup in the system. That would be either because the dust bunnies had the fans bogged down into bad performance or simply the build up of dust and the way a layer of that on a surface can be a significant hindrance to the heat transfer you need, no matter how well the fan(s) work.

It's hard to say if you would be able to tell heat was excessive when you first opened before you cleaned -- also depends how long it ran before you cracked the case, of course. If you remeber how warm things were (if at all) when you first opened it, let it run an equal amount of time and see if you can tell there is less heat buildup inside.

Also any of those components you unseated and reseated could have been poorly seated and it would've had to have been your observation before pulling that would've told you that.

The fact that it runs more quietly is encouraging but I don't see how, based on the information you present, anyone can say for sure that was the problem. I know you'd rather not but you'll probably just have to wait and see.:(

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i thought about heat too - that with the dust, i hope was the problem. it was 100° today in London and it's been hot for about the last 2 weeks too.

i don't think it was a program update, the kernel needs a reboot when its been updated, but it always asks first.

5. furballi

furballi Registered Member

Use memtest86 to test RAM overnight. Reseat (disconnect/connect) all boards and connectors including RAM. Clean inside PC including video processor. Install an run Prime95 in MAX HEAT mode. If PC reboots, check Event Viewer for error code.

6. ThunderZ

If cleaning quieted it down then sure sounds like a fan\air flow problem. But like crofttk mentioned, could have been as simple as a loose connector.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, it's mainly been doing it while i'm asleep - i listen to podcasts and audio books when i go to sleep and set it to shutdown after about 1 1/2 hours. but instead of it being off when i wake up it has rebooted instead.

it did it yesterday when i turned it on too, but like i said it was 100° so it's probably the heat. i'll see what's happened when i wake up in a few hours. i've got to go to bed now! thanks for the help.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'll try memtest if it happens again tonight, i have it as a boot option (i'm using Linux lol) thanks.

i hope you are right, we'll see :eek:

9. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Check if all the fans are running at normal speed when on (you may need a torch [flashlight]).
    Besides the obvious CPU and case fans, pay attention to the chipset and video card fans. See if any are sluggish. Replace any dead fans.
    Canned air works great for cleaning it out with the power off.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my computer has rebooted once since i first posted so i'm thinking of buying some new hardware. i really need a new computer so that's partly why i'm being so quick to buy new stuff.

what hardware problems can cause a computer to reboot?

i'm going to buy a new power supply first (i need one anyway because i have a new HDD which i can't use because my system slows down abit when i have both HDD pluggd in.)

Devinco, everything seems to be plugged in and working.

EDIT could it just be the hot weather that's causing the reboots?

11. ThunderZ

If you are totally sure your PC is 100% virus\malware free. Then why not go with a new power supply. If adding a new hard drive has that bad of an affect on it (never heard of it happening) then it sounds like it is very close to being under powered now and may be part of your problem.

edit An under powered machine will run hotter. Add to that the hot weather. Guess it is a possibility.

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

when buying a power supply, id look at antec, seasonic, or enermax as good brands. theyre of high quality and reliability.

and if u think ur PC is overheating id tidy up any loose cables and clear any dust from existing fans. if u have space for a front, rear, or top fan id add one.

13. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

My gut says power supply (either it is flaking out or it's maxed out).
    Flakey power supplies have caused hd failure, reboots, you name it.
    Did you have the problem before you installed the 2nd HD?

Buy a Quality PS with enough capacity. I don't know your rig, but I would guess maybe get a 400-450W to be on the safe side.

Try Furballi's suggestions also, RAM and Video card problems can cause crazy things to happen too.

Heat kills and will amplify any problems you have.

14. crofttk

If nothing else pans out -- and yes, I would be double checking video card (I had fan on it go out once and video would wack out after warming up), RAM, and considering buying a power supply -- is there a possibility you have a cracked conductor somewhere that normally keeps continuity and then, after things warm up, things spread apart and the crack loses continuity ?

This kind of cyclic behavior is not unheard of but a b--ch to diagnose. Think about whether that's a pattern you see, or has this happened with a relatively cold unit just after starting up before ?

15. tayres

tayres Guest

I had the same kind of problem with my system a while back.

Eventually, I found out that the intermittent rebooting was caused by a mouse driver that never passed Windows compatibility testing.

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for all the help everyone :thumb: it just rebooted again as i was booting up :( it's really starting to get on my nerves now :mad:

however, i spoke to my Father earlier today and mentioned it to him and he told me he'd buy me a new computer :D he hasn't bought me anything like this for years so i'm really happy :cool:

i just have to hope i can stay connected to the internet long enough to find something :D

thanks again for all the help. i'm going to go through it all when i get my new computer so i can fix this one. :)

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Constant rebooting has happened to me before. This can be caused by dust logging on the RAM modules, or maybe just because some sudden jolt slightly loosened the modules.

I would recommend you to open up the cabinet and take out the RAM modules, clean all dust off them, and put them back in. If that does not work, try swapping the RAM slots for each module.

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks i'll try it out.

i'm going to get a £900 Dell i think :cool:

19. crofttk

Haha, you squeaked by that one iceni60.

Enjoy !

And have fun ferreting out the old PCs problem with the pressure off.

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

well, i've now got a new computer and this one has rebooted twice in the last hour. i think i'm going to go and change the plug adapter lol.

21. crofttk

Wow.....I wonder if your house/flat electrical system has a gremlin in it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.