Hardware Firewall/Router Recommendations for Home Network

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TheKid7, Oct 7, 2018.

1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I purchased the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 last Friday and set it up yesterday. The only issue that I had is when I updated the firmware to the latest version I kept getting the message that it was uploading and I gave up after around 15 minutes. I never got the update completed message so I clicked cancel and tried to update the firmware again which gave me an error. I rebooted followed by trying again to update the firmware which also resulted in an error. At some point I noticed that the firmware version was now shown as the later version.

The router seems to be working OK. My old router gave me a throughput of about 56 mpbs. My ISP nominal bandwidth is 300 mbps. My cable modem nominal bandwidth is a little over 300 mbps. My throughput is now about 260 mbps which seems reasonable.

2. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Nice router, pity that it does not yet support OpenWrt (but hopefully later)

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Ubiquiti_Networks_EdgeRouter_4_(ER-4)

Sooner or later all routers turn to crap, no matter what the price point because manufacturers don't give a damn for older routers, no new official firmware updates, and the only choice they give you, if you don't want to get hacked, is buy new one from them (are you reading this Cisco-the-7-backdoors-in-2018-alone ?).

It's totally artificial, to force you to buy new stuff. :(

Or, flash the router with OpenWrt when the official support ends, if it's supported by then...

3. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

So why wasn t some cheap Mikrotik with 1GB ports a better choice ?! :)
    You have a support forum and updates (3 kinds of them) for the device often.

Anyway enjoy your device !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.