Hardware Firewall Discussion

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Albinoni, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I'm planning to buy myself a Netgear FVS318 Network Switch and VPN Firewall Router off Ebay Australia. These are basically a network switch with a more advanced firewall built in. But my Q here is do I really need this and how good they are ? My current setup consists of a Netgear DG834 4 port ADSL Modem/Router with also built in hardware firewall and also I use ZA Pro (latest version). So is my current protection good enough or would it be wise to get a Netgear FVS318.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Netgear-FVS3...ryZ23778QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Not sure why you are wanting to buy another router, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is your current router giving you problems? VPN is great and some say a bit better than a straight NAT router as far as security goes, but I think you are just fine. Perhaps Crazy M coudl chime in with a better answer, I don't see a need to upgrade unless you need the VPN functionality or 8 local ports as opposed to only 4. Then again a hub would be a cheaper alternative for more ports.

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Your current setup is fine so you should not feel that you have to upgrade your router. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with upgrading if it offers additional features you are looking for.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.