Hardening Linux (Mint 16 Especially)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by PaulyDefran, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

So I did the search and read most of the posts. Some things I had questions about seem to be answered (like chkrootkit, rkhunter, Bastille, etc... not being needed). But I still have some questions. When I ran Ubuntu 11.04 I did all of these in the below video, and didn't have a problem, but I wanted to see if these apply to Mint 16...and if you guys think any are worth doing?

It's a 40 minute video, but the stuff I'm unsure of starts at 11:00 - 26:00

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pant4n9OzRQ-

This is on a laptop that connects to WiFi at coffee shops. It also needs to connect to Windows shares on the home LAN. I have ufw configured to only allow local LAN and VPN.

Thanks!

2. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

I skipped through the video for the duration you specified, that guy isn't easy to follow but it is outdated.

/dev/shm now is a link to /run/shm and is split into several tmpfs mounts by default. Room for improvement there would be for mounting it as noexec. Debian based distros do this by default, Ubuntu & cousins do not. For more on up to date fstab improvements, you may want to glance through here:
    http://thesimplecomputer.info/oh-devsda-how-have-i-displeased-thee/

The sysctl stuff he does wouldn't be a bad idea if using public access points and won't cause problems with network access. I think also some distro ship with those enabled by default (Arch?) but not 'buntus & Mints. An also up to date sysctl config page can be found here:
    http://thesimplecomputer.info/adventures-in-linux-tcp-tuning-page2/

(Full disclosure: that's my site.)

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

There is no reason to harden Linux Mint.
    Mrk

4. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

LOL
    Different ppl have different needs for the same Linux distro. How could you speak for others while you know absolutely nothing about their real need for Mint?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's what he does.... :)

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

That sums it up, yes.

7. oliverjia

Yes I saw his title in Linux expert, so what? His claim is against basic logic.
    I don't know what he does, it does not matter to me.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Just differing opinions from the usual seen in these forums. Some people take a calm, reflective approach towards computer security.

As for the topic question, one could enable the firewall (sudo ufw enable) keep mint updated, and harden the browser with a scripting control extension. There's more that could be done but it can get pretty involved so it's not everyone's cup of tea.

9. oliverjia

Yes Mrk share a great deal of useful information in this forum, he certainly is entitled to his opinion, however as always, there are different ppl out there who has different needs for Mint or other distros, therefore their requirement towards security is different. They might need to harden Linux Mint to get better experience.

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

11. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Thanks people, didn't want to start nuthin' :D I'll check out the links!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.