Hard Drive Imaging Software - yet another thread

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Fontaine, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

There have been tons of threads about backup/imaging software, but I haven't found the best one yet. Here's my simple list of requirements:
    1) Free
    2) Creates image of hard drive
    3) Routine backups can be scheduled (doesn't have to support incremental backups. That would be nice, but I'm only imaging about 50GB so it doesn't take long when run overnight)
    4) Has capability to retain X number of recent backups . i.e. will only keep 3 (or whatever number) most recent images
    5) Supports encryption of backup/images

I've been using Macrium Reflect (free version) and I really like it. The only pain for me is not having #4 above. Ideally, I'd like to have it scheduled to backup routinely without the need to go in every few weeks and delete older image files. I think maybe this is supported in the paid version?

Any suggestions on finding a package that supports the above?

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't know if it's there in the free version, but according to their Help file, there is an Advanced Settings section which includes an option for Disk Space Management:

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Have you seen these?

4. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Thanks guys. I confirmed that Macrium requires a paid license in order to use the feature that allows you to automatically purge previous images/backups.

I will check out Paragon Express and see if that works. I like Macrium, but I really need this feature...and with all the free options out there, I'm hoping to not have to pay for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.