Hard Drive Cloning Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 70JUDGE, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 70JUDGE

70JUDGE Registered Member

What I would like to know is if this program will do the following,and how do I go about making it work if it does.What I'm trying to do it make an exact copy of the hard drive in a laptop,and put the information onto a larger drive.Does this program backup my information onto the existing old drive in cd size images,I can then access the images through the network,burn them on cds,remove the old drive from the laptop,put in the larger one,and copy everything back onto it using a bootable disk make with this program?And be able to use it just like the old one,just with more space?Also,the new drive has been formated to FAT32,and not NTFS.Will this program format it to NTFS for me?Any help is greatly appreciated.Thank you very much!

Tyler

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

There are two ways to do what you want: 1) Cloning, 2)Imaging or Backup

With Cloning, you have to put the new laptop drive in something like a usb enclosure, connect it to your laptop and run the Clone process. Then afterwards, replace the old drive with the new one and hopefully you would have a successful bootable system with the new drive. Some people have had problems - just to forewarn you.

With Imaging, you make a backup image to another storage device - the most common being another drive in a usb enclosure. Once made, replace the old laptop drive with the new one and Restore/Recover that image to the new drive. For this process you need to make the bootable Rescue CD after you install the software on the old drive. This Rescue CD will also have the Clone, Image, and Recover features on it just like the installed program and I prefer to use this CD to do those procedures rather than running True Image from the installed program in Windows.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.