HackShield virus?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Nisentsubasa, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nisentsubasa

Nisentsubasa Registered Member

So, I was about to kick back and play CombatArms a couple nights ago. I hit the launcher exe, and clicked start. The HackShield started to update. Then it was stopped, by NOD32, which had detected a Win32/Packed.Themida variant in the update's ehsvc.dl file. I went ahead and quarantined it, and sent it in to Eset for examination. I'm just wondering if any of you guys had seen/run into the same problem, and if so, is it actually dangerous? I know there are *some* benign themida files, but I'd prefer not to risk it. And bypassing the HackShield probably wouldn't be an incredibly intelligent decision either. Any thoughts, comments?

-Nisentsubasa

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

I am not familiar with CombatArms but HackShield at least sounds suspicious . Themida packed files are detected not as viruses,trojans,etc but as potentially unwanted applications . From ESET documentation :

Potentially unwanted applications

So it is up-to-you if you want such applications on your computer .
    You can temporary disable the real-time file system protection , restore this file from the Quarantime (on your Desktop , for example) and send the file to ESET Virus Lab samples@eset.com

3. Nisentsubasa

Nisentsubasa Registered Member

Hi there. Thanks for getting back to me so fast, HiTech.

Mmm... CombatArms is a free-to-play game distributed by Nexon (http://www.nexon.net). I just can't believe that HackShield would distribute something dangerous - it's a pretty widely used antihack program. With that said, I've been paranoid about viruses ever since a trojan took down my desktop(took two weeks to clean it), so I'm going to leave as is for now. I went ahead and sent it to the Eset Lab to be examined. I guess I should wait for the verdict. Thanks for the help HiTech_boy.

-Nisentsubasa

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Is the file still being detected as malicious? If so, what is the version number of your virus signature database?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.