Hackers will weaponize AI, survey says

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by itman, Aug 3, 2017.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

"What goes around, comes around."
    https://www.scmagazine.com/hackers-will-weaponize-ai-survey-says/article/679622/

2. boredog

boredog Registered Member

You are going to make a fan of Cylance here at Wilders yet ;)

3. itman

itman Registered Member

o_O

I thought the whole article strange since it originated from Cylance. I interpret what was stated as most believe AI is bad/crap technology and should be scrapped before it totally gets out of hand.

4. itman

itman Registered Member

I will say this about AI use to evade security detection. First, the concept is far from new or unique. Malware developers presently have methods in place to test detection capability against the commonly used AV solutions.

AV vendors no longer work in isolation when is comes to malware detection and signature remediation. Case in point are bulk scanning sites like Virus Total. Polymorphic malware exists for the sole purpose of changing its hash value and the like and generic signatures and YARA like detection methods are quite effective in detecting it. Signatures today are developed in a matter of a few hours once the malware surfaces in the wild. Finally, AV vendors have rep scanner blacklists to contain the malware till they develop a signature.

Such is not the case for many of the AI/machine learning solutions. Their algorithms are only refreshed periodically by most vendors such as monthly, quarterly, etc.. So my opinion is use of AI by the malware vendors is a much larger threat against the AI/Next Gen anti-malware solutions.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  5. Lockdown

Lockdown Registered Member

The major security soft vendors have been using Ai\machine learning for years in one form or another. Malc0ders will always be above-parity against counter measures.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

7. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Well since Intel is using Cylance then it must not be any good? I am not sure but would think Intel is work more then Symantec or Eset.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

9. guest

guest Guest

i told Cylance was BS, when the first thread appeared; nobody believed me...

(i love the feeling of saying "told you" :p )

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.