Hackers plan global game of capture the flag

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by NeonWizard, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonWizard

NeonWizard Registered Member

LAS VEGAS--If everything goes as planned, for 72 hours next February hackers from all over the United States will hit targets across the Internet in the largest mass attack to date.

But the affected systems won't be corporate Web servers or networks, they'll be computers set up and maintained by other hackers as part of a capture-the-flag game. When the digital dust clears, the team from either the East Coast or the West Coast will be named winner.

"We have people take over someone's box and play the game from there," said "D.D.," a member of the Seattle-based security group Ghetto Hackers, which kicked off a smaller version of the game, Root Fu, at the Defcon hacking convention here on Friday. "In terms of our machines, we are pretty confident that we can contain it." The Ghetto Hackers have run the smaller capture-the-flag-type game, where eight teams hack each other on a closed network, for three years at the convention.

Next year, the group of hacking hobbyists hopes to take the game global. Dubbed Mega Root Fu, the new game will be the first large-scale hacking contest played over the public Internet. The group is allowing teams throughout the United States to sign up at its Web site and hopes to have a thousand players come February.

Read Article

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Thanks for the news! It's time to defend our computers everybody...

3. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Wait a minute... Am I hearing this right? The Ghetto Hackers are a "security group"?

Huh? :eek:

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

It sounds like it - read carefully -

It sounds to me like the teams set up their own PCs, and try to take control of the other teams PCs at the same time. Not your PC or my PC, just the ones involved in the game.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hmm, If you were trying to attack another hacker I believe you would need reinforcements such as Zombie machines - Create your own army? o_O
    I wonder if that is in the "Rules"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.