Gunbound - When software protection goes too far...

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Not really, As I see it the Gunbound people should talk to DCS about a proper solution as it is unfair to tell their users to compromise the users computer's security by disabling Process Guard for the sake of a game. :)

2. SunDance

SunDance Guest

Umm, ok ... i agree ... i don't know this guy, just wanted to point out that it's his fault we got here in the first place ... if they want something fixed, they should remove him, not Process Guard ... Anyways, nice job you have done with this program ... going to buy full ver... Sorry for any inconvenience caused by my posts ...

3. It is useless. PG should just come up with a new version that keeps changing the reg key name but being as stable as before.
    the "hackers" are already using programmes by symantect etc...
    i will be amused if gunbound bans these few big companies too, as I am sure these companies will not be as hesistant as diamondcs in carrying out actions to counter this(ie new version, or new feature, or talk terms, or lawsuit)
    I didnt mean to offend anyone in diamondcs, just a comment in comparing something.

so if gunbound gonna ban every single company that does this, u will find the population of their users dropping to less than 3000 in a month, as parents will certainly not allow their children to uninstall all these to compromise for a game. mature users will not be as dumb as to install the last line of defense(ie norton systemworks) to play a game too.

if hackers are really persistant in a way, they can either spend money and buy norton systemworks, or simple program a new way of bypass.
    all gunbound can do is to prevent them for hacking for 1-2 weeks.

gunbound should learn from valve and blizzard on their methods to counter hacks, as we do not even need to install spywares and hacking tools to play those games, nor do we need to uninstall any other programs.

Is gb really that "UNIQUE" so the extent that they give the impression that they are so stupid?

I hope something can be done, so that hacks can be prevented, but at the same time we DONT compromise on security.

gunbound should also consult a better company for anti hacking since they are so incapable to prevent hacking and at the same time without having to ban other "innocent" programs.

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I wonder if Pivx (http://www.pivx.com) would take any interest in this? I know they have taken game vendors to task for security issues in the past, and will take it public if they don't respond. Forcing customers to leave their systems wide open to attack is absolutely not acceptable.

5. I certainly understand gunbound wants to prevent hackers from hacking the game to make it more enjoyable.
    but installing spywares and blocking security programs which only kills our computer instead of helping it is absolutely unforgiveable, unless gunbound wants to pay me $4000+ a month to buy me a new computer each month.

Doing this will only kill their cash charge business and reputation. As a whole, I am really disappointed in Softnyx.

On the other hand, is diamondcs able to come up with a new version that will work in hand with gunbound? Ie the register name keeps changing so gunbound can never ban it.

Also if gunbound wants to ban processguard, whats the point?
    The hackers will just shift their attention to programs made by microsoft, symantec etc. Does gunbound really intend to ban all of themo_O

6. rich90usa

rich90usa Guest

Just from my personal experence on trying to get PG to work with nProtect. It is not a regestry key. nProtect is detecting procguard.exe (i think thats the running name) either by injecting .dll's into every process on the computer or somehow scanning running processes. If a new version is to be made it would have to have a timer set-up that changes its project/processes name every time the computer restarts or PG restarts. It is almost impossable to change its running name while the program is running would cause system problems because of not notifying the .dll's that processguard is changing its name.

Thought i'd put in my 2cents.

7. KoreaBoy

KoreaBoy Guest

Why on earth should ProcessGuard itself mold to fit the Gunbound users' wish? Why on earth should It be changed to overcome an online game protection ? It is NOT PG who is wrong, badly coded, or not doing its job right? The only thing worth fixing is Gunbound's protection.

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Like Pilli said - no more personal garbage - last post removed for that reason.

9. Colton

Colton Guest

If you would like any hurther explanation, ill see what i can do. I'm not sure if drawing the purple line like the aimbot does really modifies the process at all, It may just be "drawn over"

Now there are other applications made for gunbound that do modifiy the process, just simple memory address value writing.

Either way, most of these "cheats" and "hackers" are not doing anything other than client side memory address editing, or merely changing outgoing packets.

The origin of this was probably an old method used to kill the nprotect application. You would inject a dll into explorer.exe, which in turn would render the nprotect application useless. The nprotect application now restarts explorer.exe, which is why many of these cheaters used your application protection.

Not sure if this was usefull at all either, but if you have any questions, im more that willing to help.

10. KTJR

KTJR Guest

Look i've used cheats in gunbound, yeah <snip> got it patched... but there are reasons he did it. Theres a whole story to it people do not know, and it would have even occured if <snip> hadn't released it everywhere (sorry for doing the personal remarks thing) <snip> got blamed for <snip> leaking and he decided to get it patched.

Look Process gaurd is a great program, and i think you guys should work with softnyx, i can vouch for them the lead programmer is a complete <snip>, the guy who did the custom build for nprotect spelled his name wrong...

i would like to use process gaurd beyond how i used it in gunbound and i hope this is resolved. But hey you guys got a lot of customers from it am i right?

-KTJR

feel free to contact me if you have any questions or i can help

aol im- KTJR777
    email- <snip>

thanks

edited to remove names, a personal insult, and an email address to protect from harvesting - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2004
  11. KoreaBoy

KoreaBoy Guest

If <snip> was working for the Gunbound security, how can you be sure he didn't warned them for the process guard's existence before this new character <snip> had made the information public? Why search for culprids when the question is as simple as : "they now know it".
    I played the game for 5 minutes and made me wonder why so many complaint, since this game has nothing of value. For parents, there are other games out there to encourage your kids to play. Don't refuse your protection over a Video Game's demented security manager (or anyone else responsible for the management of nprotect).

removed names - Detox

12. CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy Guest

Im confused as to why your so raged by <snip and what he did if you've only played GunBound for 5 minutes. Maybe I'm jsut slow.

Softnyx had a problem with hackers. As a regular player for a year now, I've seen all this hacks used and have even used them in the past. Process guard was a good way of making the injection bypass work, and alot of GunBound users learned this. Simple fix, block it. But all of that has already been said on this thread.

I see no reason why the programers should modify the code of thier software for some kid that wants to use it to help enable a hack for a game. I like games without hacks! (Yes, I know I've said I've used some of the hacks, but just too see if they actualy worked really.)

Even still, hackers have already found away around this patch, there are currently 3 known working bypasses as of this writing, but in 5 hours thier might not be.

Ah, I'm going no where fast here!

removed names - Detox

13. Kaye

Kaye Registered Member

I digress. Its not just gunbound that is in question here, but a large majority of other games that use nProtect as their protection scheme.

Games like Ragnarok Online, Phantasy Star, Shining Lore are all protected by nProtect and therefore also ban the usage of ProcessGuard. I hope there is a resolution for this soon

14. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i was ummmm checking them out http://gunbound.net/screen/screen_game1.asp whats the recomended age starting for this game lolllllllllllllllllllll

no im seriouse

i think kenedy would dig this game lol

im check out those other games you mention one of them sound cool

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'm getting real tired of removing all these names.

Additionally, a review of Wayne's initial post may be in order for those who desire to argue the politics and stories of this game and the people involved. This is the Process Guard forum - not the Gunbound "this guy is bad but really this guy was at fault" forum. Wayne's intent was put forth in his initial post and it would be nice to try and stay at least somewhere near topic.

16. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

well looking at the games and looking at process guard to me it strange.

but i do think its not really a big deal in less you make it one

this should had been kept in house it has nothing to do with dcs at all

its not the security company job to cater to a video game company this was done after process guard came out

if you play these games complane to the companys not to dcs

and thats the bottom line

so after reviewing the games and looking at the facts this is there problem nothing to do with dcs

but if you insist just go dowenload the 5 patchs out already to bypass this so you can go useing lame aim bots lol dont bug a security company

17. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

We'll close this thread now as everyone has had plenty of time to have their say on the matter.

Thanks everyone for understanding that this is a Gunbound issue and really has nothing to do with Process Guard. Gunbound users should direct any further their concerns/questions towards the Gunbound author, not us, as we have no control over Gunbound.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.