Guest's Sign On's??

Discussion in 'polls' started by hayc59, Sep 25, 2004.

?

Guest Sign On?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ,.-

,.- Guest

Guest Sign On's increase the power & control of the moderators and admins. In an "open" forum, the moderators cannot really control the guests. They cannot ban them, they may only delete or edit their topics. However, this comes with the risk that the guests post the same topic again.

As a general rule, I have learned from history lessons in school that too much power may easily corrupt even the finest people. Personally, I believe that this is true.

However, I have never met moderators or admins who considered that such rule may also apply to them.

I believe that a moderator should SERVE a forum. Serving a forum and not excessively/inappropriately making use of power gets more and more difficult over time. After a while, a moderator may be at the end of his/her tether and excessively apply mod powers (instead of using them as an ultimata ratio).

Therefore, I believe that mod powers should be controlled. Same applies to admin powers (unless the admin stays in the background and does not engage in the day-to-day business of a forum). Guest postings are a good way of controlling mod/admin powers.

Moreover, I am wondering whether the use of the following signature would be tolerated in this forum: "In the event that this thread will be edited, closed, deleted or otherwise manipulated there is the possibility to freely continue the discussion in the following non-moderated forum: [insert URL of a random non-moderated forum]."

I sincerely hope that my somewhat revolutionary thoughts won't be deleted ;-)

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Interesting thought, however, even this specifically less moderated forum you speak of would still need to be moderated to a degree, in order to make sure things remained legal, and links were not posted to bad sights...

Cheers :D

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Hi there (Whatever that Guest heirogliphic says).....Do you mean by 'Revolutionary' that you go round in ever decreasing circles trying without success to make a point that eventually you sort of disappear up your own.........'Forum'......... :D :D......May I ask why you assume you can turn up with your own Agenda and actually believe you'll be taken seriously.....I'm beginning to think it must be 'Walter Mitty' season again......No offence meant of course as you will know doubt have to agree....... :D

Cochise, :cool:

4. ~`Guest-~

My desire is to not comment on the posted topic....but to address you in particular

Your thoughts are very much in-correct an displays a not ready for prime time poster....(no offense intended)....."most" posters at ANY website can be controled with very little effort..
    Althought you express what appears to be sincere thoughts......rarely does any webmaster allow an over-bearing moderator to remain on-site very long......members would leave like the house was on fire......
    An please do not mistake my previous comments as ment to incite a "movement" against ANY moderator or moderators at this forum....such is definitely not the case.........
    The moderators of this forum are exceptional.......they are also human an capable of making mistakes....of becoming upset....an of getting offended....its during such times that members should come to the aid of the moderators....not by debates....but with thoughts of goodwill.....offering peace....calmness.....insight.......consider....if every time I made a mistake there was a massive attack upon me......that would only cause bitterness......

The Big Chief said it well........I don't give a stink on dog poop who post........as long as the do so with respect for ALL....with peacefull intent..........otherwise.....they should not let the door hit them in their @ss on the way out of the forum...........
    as to the slurp about moderators powers.......again mistakes will be made.....are the mistakes intentional...absolutely not.......NO MODERATOR AT THIS FORUM WOULD INTENTIONAL HARM A POSTER>>>MEMBER OR GUEST..........I personally may not agree with each and every moderator but I damm well know they are good men and women deserving of being respected.......NOW THATS A FACT !!!

The topic was ment as a simple poll...nothing more.....if I recall correctly...the BEGINNER of the topic can request the topic be locked to further posting......am not certain................an again I agree with the CHIEF........its become rubish.......of no value......an better to ignor posting on.....the Topic appears to have taken a turn..an is just being used for other intentions....imo

TheSnowman Guy

5. GUEST

please do not mis-understand.......my post to you was not a "questioning" of your expressed "thoughts" nor a "judgemental" expression on my part.
    Some may consider your ideas good while others may consider them as bad..........nevertheless....the topic has taken such a rash turn that nothing good can come of it.........another time...another place perhaps.......as a matter of respect for the entire forum

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

This thread has completely run off topic and as how the original thread was guest sign on. Lets get back on topic. as of now the thread is going nowhere but downhill.

bigc

Edit: At the request of the thread originator, this thread will now be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.