Guardio?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ttomm1946, Oct 23, 2018.

1. ttomm1946

ttomm1946 Registered Member

Does anybody know anything about this Chrome protection extension..?it's a few bucks a month I believe..

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Guardio for Chrome
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/guardio-for-chrome/gjfpmkejnolcfklaaddjnckanhhgegla?hl=en
    https://guard.io/

3. mekelek

mekelek Registered Member

"Antivirus is obsolete.
    Hackers are evolving, you should too."
    and i closed the page, stay away

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes that made me laugh also. From that first few sentences it seems that they've created some magical extension that can replace AV. :rolleyes:
    Off course, only Chrome users can use this better-than-AV extension...

5. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

Technically, imagine there was an extension that blocked every single download you make through your browser. Suddenly, you can no longer download malware (or anything). So that extension WOULD actually be better than an AV in terms of preventing malware. Ofc you can still download malware through torrenting and mail clients but yeah, the browser basically covers anything

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, but that would only work if (as you said ) all network traffic would come through browser and if extension would know all malicious links from which you could get malware. Since malware can be delivered from anywhere, this is practically impossible. AV also offers much more protection and not just traffic and url scanning. So I could argue that most AVs already cover all that this extension does and also MUCH more.

7. Paul from Guardio

Paul from Guardio Registered Member

Hi all,
    I'm Paul and I work as a community manager for Guardio.
    It is very important for us to answer any question regarding Guardio and make sure all of our users (potential users, too) are happy

Floyd got it right. Guardio is first and foremost a preemptive security measure.
    It checks every site/link visited from the browser and blocks both known and suspected threats. It also disables malicious browser extensions, 'spam' push notifications from websites that have no business running background tasks in the browser and the list goes on...

Nowadays, as the majority of internet users are using their browser exclusively (whether for consuming content, shopping online, managing finances, etc) hence rendering the browser the only attack vector for hackers/fraudsters.
    Preventing users from visiting sites/landing pages/ad campaigns dedicated to the sole purpose of downloading a malware in the first place, makes Guardio at least as effective as an Anti Virus that handles a malware after it's downloaded/installed.
    In addition to that, most Anti Virus software vendors out there won't protect the user from voluntarily providing his/her personal or financial details to scammers when targeted by a Phishing campaign and other scams.

I hope this is helpful.

8. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

For $4 a month, this might be worth using. Ofc, that assumes that the "Machine learning algorithms detect sites that attempt to defraud or infect with viruses" are actually good, which will have to be tested I imagine. Unless the AI is good, it's hard to recommend this extension over ublock origin with content filters which does a great job of stopping malicious/phishing links and it's free. I'm also curious how does this work "Keeps your browser environment safe by scanning your extensions and add-ons", does it use signatures? The extension also seems to check if sites have been registered recently, which is cool against phishing but that's already supposed to be detected by the AI

9. Paul from Guardio

Hi Floyd,
    These are all great questions, and once again - you're in the right direction.
    Of course, it's more complicated than that - Guardio is powered by AI but also augmented by signatures and blacklists from multiple and diverse sources.
    The real game-changer here is our ability to detect new (unknown) threats in real-time and block them.

As for malicious extensions - we analyze each and every Chrome extension that becomes available/updated on the Chrome Web Store in addition to extensions that are installed from other sources (things we've seen 'in the wild') in order to determine whether it should run or be blocked.

Regarding recently created websites - it's a piece of information we provide our users with as it's something worth noting (regardless of malicious content).
    If a specific, recently-registered website were to impose an actual threat - Guardio would've blocked it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

But isn't this already done by browsers like Chrome and Firefox with the Safe Browsing feature? And do you also monitor every site that is visited, what about privacy?

This does sound like an interesting feature. Is it similar to Extension Police?

11. Paul from Guardio

Safe Browsing is a great feature but unfortunately it falls short in various situations. In addition to it's other features, Guardio adds another website blocking layer in addition to Safe Browsing.
    Guardio's protection is more tailored to the online consumer and will also block scam attempts and less obvious cases of fraud.

As for malicious extension detection, Guardio attempts to be more proactive and will block extensions dubbed as malicious (or PUP) in real-time.
    Guardio continuously monitors emerging threats in the extension landscape and in many cases will even block the very page attempting to serve the offending extensions.

Privacy is something we take very seriously and you are more than welcome to peruse our privacy policy!
    TLDR, Guardio does not share or sell any sensitive user data. The only business model is our (very affordable) membership fee. =)

12. mekelek

mekelek Registered Member

gave it a quick run
    your extension thought ublock origin and tampermonkey are malicious extensions
    also has more ad trackers than 5 websites together.
    Code:
    http://any.ac/7wNILhQXBJEA.png
    that's a no thanks to me dawg

13. Paul from Guardio

Hi Mekelek,

First, and most importantly, the ad trackers are only part of the Guardio website and will never be loaded by the extension.
    As I said above, privacy is very important to us.
    If you use an Adblocker like uBlock or have a DNT flag turned on - no one's going to track you.

Regarding Guardio blocking either uBlock or TamperMonkey - that's definitely not the intended behavior.
    If you don't mind sharing the email address you used when running our scan in a direct message, that'd be great.
    I really want to know what caused this bad experience for you!
    All of us here at Guardio use both of these extensions, so it's very weird you got a warning regarding those in your scan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.