[GSS beta 1.110] error message

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Disciple, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

When I installed the update for GSS I found it had defaulted back to the Emerald Green color theme :( , my senior eyes preference is White Ocean :) . However when I changed the color theme the change did not propagate completely through the GUI. On the RD tab the list box that contains the Global Registry Rules/Application Rules and the list box that displays the rule components; key, value, events, action, group/application, order, kept the Emerald Green color. I closed GSS to restart it to see if the change would then be applied to all areas, but when I clicked the GSS desktop icon I received the error message depicted in the screenshot below. The only way to restart the beta was to reboot o_O .

Anyone else having this problem, or seeing this alert? I have sent Jason an email about this, just to make sure he sees it.

Attached Files:

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi Disciple,

There are a few bugs with dynamic changing of the color scheme, which a restart of the interface will fix. As to why you are now unable to load gss.exe it does sound a bit odd, like AppDefend is blocking the execution of it. Were you using an existing setup from the previous beta, or did you start fresh?

3. Disciple

That is what I discovered in the first beta, restarting the GUI fixed the color problem.

My previous settings were picked up by the new beta, but this is how I ended up installing the new beta on bot computers. I first tried to update my laptop via the update available message waiting for me this AM. Like others it did not work, ref: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=621487&postcount=107. This failed so I went the manual method; downloaded the new beta, uninstalled the old beta and rebooted then installed the new beta and ran it when asked. I then changed the color theme and closed the GUI so the change would happen throughout the GUI. On the restart is when I received the error message. It happened on both systems.

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

If you reboot then you should be able to get back into GSS. The problem is that the hashes have changed, and possibly you have switched the .DEFAULT rule to ASK USER / BLOCK for executions?

5. Disciple

:oops: Yes I did make that change, thinking it would tighten protection. Which now brings this question about my situation. With .DEFAULT Execution = ASK USER / BLOCK and GSS.exe Execution = Allow, when the programs hash changes does the .DEFAULT rules take precedence? It appears that this is whats happening.

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

It does tighten the protection a bit. I am going to have to define a way to let the user set what happens when the hash has changed on an executable they have set to ALLOW.

7. Disciple

IIRC I have seen an alert that contained a line warning about a hash difference between the starting program and what AD had on file. I could be wrong about that though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.