Grieving mother falls victim to Amazon one-time password ‘scam’

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dermot7, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...falls-victim-to-amazon-one-time-password-scam

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I must admit, I didn't fully understand it. So the delivery drivers are the scammers? So far, I never had to give an OTP to any driver. I did decide to remove my creditcard info from my Amazon account, since they strangely enough don't verify with a 3DSecure code, so if someone hacks your Amazon account, they can happily buy stuff on your expensive. But fair enough, I just saw you could protect your Amazon Prime account with 2FA.

3. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks @Dermot7 for sharing this very sad story. IMHO in cases like this Amazon (or any other company for that matter) could have made an arrangement with the grieving mother (maybe after some checking): "dear Madam, we are very sorry for the loss of your son, we understand the very sad circumstances. We want to make an arrangement so you get the laptop asap". Or some words like that. That could be no problem for Amazon.

==========

Allow me now to get off topic, about this:
    (I'm not talking now about Amazon).

I have seen the issue happening more than once: the courier is telling that things, that were ordered online, were delivered to the receiver. And that exactly is a complete lie!!! The courier doesn't ring a doorbell, puts the things somewhere in the appartment building or doesn't deliver it at all. But the things are not there, or the packet is empty, stolen, not delivered, or whatever; you cannot know. But the courier is telling that it was delivered. Oh, the holy tracking ... And when you try to get your money back, you find yourself suddenly between two companies: the sending one and the courier. And you never get your money back. That is a real story folks; it can cost you hundreds of Euros!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.