Greenborder Technology In Google's Chrome Browser

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dmenace, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Remember Greenborder, the company which produced sandbox software similar to sandboxie?

Google bought Greenborder sometime ago. Now with the release of Google's Chrome browser, apparently the new browser has the Greenborder Sandbox Technology built-in.

Quote:

"Google acquired application security company GreenBorder in May 2007. GreenBorder technology automatically sandboxes web code and network traffic by creating a bridge between applications. The GreenBorder technology isolated Internet Explorer or Firefox instances into a "sandbox" inside virtual machine instances. These sandboxes form the code isolation layers of Google Chrome, protecting other tabs and the parent operating system from the code executing on each web page."

http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/2008/09/google-chrome.html

2. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

This is what i was thinking about!
    But there is an improvement: Chrome seems to isolate in a single process every tab opened. (as in your statement). So I think it could be.
    Mike

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

To my knowledge SBIE and DW had problems with it. Anyone tried with other sandboxes. Ilya (of DW) has already fixed it.

Thx

4. arran

arran Registered Member

I can't get Chrome to work inside Sandboxie can anyone else??

And also too has anyone else seen this article yet?
    http://masudblog.com/?p=259

I have been testing this browser and by using Currports I have been looking at what connections chrome has been making while loading different webpages, and I have noticed that Chrome is ALLWAYS connecting to IP 66.249.89.127 which relates to google by the way. It is very suspicious why does Chrome always need to connect to IP 66.249.89.127 every time you load a webpage??
    Is Chrome sending your browsing habits to google??

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  5. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

If Chrome has a sandbox why do we need another one on top of that?

6. arran

arran Registered Member

seen how Chrome is very new I don't trust its sandbox abilities, Sandboxie here is a well known security app which has been tested.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

When they refer to Chrome's sandbox could it refer to the separate memory space that each tab occupies.

In effect if one tab crashes it only crashes within it's own memory space (sandbox space) and doesn't crash any other tabs?

Really dunno and only guessing here. o_O

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Each tab is sandboxed and has it's own process. And yes, except for special cases (some special character that makes Chrome completely crash, already fixed in dev versions), if a page crashes you just close it, it doesn't affect the entire browser.

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Chrome's sandboxing is totaly based on Windows built-in mechanisms and doesn't refer to Greenborder's technologies. I found no additional drivers after its installation.

10. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Thanks for the info Ilya.

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I read the article. According to that article they have retracted part of the EULA.
    I haven't tried using Sandboxie and I don't see the IP address that you posted yet.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Most likely. Probably not the browser of choice for those that don't enjoy targeted advertising.

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

So it seems they bough greenborder for the knowledge and skilled manpower and not for the code?

14. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

As per this CNET article, Google has admitted that it will store some of the info inputted into Chrome's OmniBox.

Full article here.

So looks like Big Google is watching :doubt:

15. dmenace

dmenace Registered Member

Oops I stand corrected.

Thanks Ilya.

16. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Personally, I'm getting tired of this "Google is watching" nonsense. Darn go download Chromium, it's open-sourced, 3-clause BSD licensed thing. Noone's forcing you to use the one provided by Google, nor use Google Updater. You can check the sources and you can tweak them as needed if you have the coding skills.

P.S. And guess what, using Google for your search purposes makes "Big Google" watch you too. :rolleyes:

17. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Ooh... Why so Serious ?? :shifty:
    Sure, no one is forcing me to shift from beloved Firefox either ;)
    And yes, every time you use Google Search and/or visit a site with Google Ads your behavior is recorded.

But the thing is, Google is advertising and putting up links on its homepage for Chrome and not Chromium. So your average user who gives Chrome a swing, is going to be milked. Since he is unaware of the Google scheme of things.
    For those who are more knowledgeable, there are options galore .... And hopefully my or other posts made them make a better decision, whichever they way they take.

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If Google is watching my searches, it's an exercise in futility. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.