Great deal on Appguard!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks. :)

Regards

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

My understanding is yes. I asked similar questions about the licensing some time ago and here is the answer I received from Eirik: -

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1580604&highlight=appguard#post1580604

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I was running Prevx, and AG together and I had no problems with it. No BSOD's. I did add an exception in memory guard for Prevx after running them together for over a month with no issues.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

;)
    I'm a fan of behavior blocking and host intrusion prevention software (HIPS)
    Interesting that high level users are looking for some 'blocker' HIPS typr tool along with PX. ??

If Prevx Went back to "granular settings a la V2, ie: block before infection...

...might not need both ?? :)

I admit to writing this based on preliminary observations and "that" thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=231689
    A bit old now.
    Was interested back then and that thread with the dev was exceptional reading.

I haven't looked at AppGuard for some time.

Despite this being a useful tool, for less sophisticated users and certain situations, there are some issues (?) in some circumstances.
    - must be installed on clean system
    -must be disabled for some installs
    - increasingly complex set-up depending on user expertise
    ( long way from the defaults in earlier versions)
    - no cloud 'learning' options iirc ?

Beyond that does a great job, for an SRP utility, particularly with web related vulnerabilities: no doubts at all, but if the tool is not restarted post install of any legit app, could be toast.

Not sure that a revved up PrevX would not be easier.
    Not sure it is better than DW ??

Useful addition, good price.
    Regards

PS feel free to beat me with a stick if I am off course. :blink:

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I've asked because of this post of Eirik. So I want to be sure about type of license we get as a lifetime offer now.

6. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks for replying. I did manage to solve this by changing the installation sequence. As previously posted, I had to uninstall AppGuard, then install Prevx, then reinstall AppGuard, and that solved the problem of the BSOD on the restart.

I too have made a MemoryGuard exception for Prevx but MemoryGuard is still blocking it from writing to the memory of guarded applications. Two other applications that I added to the exceptions list - MSE and Sandboxie - have both been honoured by MemoryGuard, but when I added the two Trusteer Rapport services to the exceptions list, just as with Prevx, MemoryGuard also blocks them from writing to the memory of guarded applications.

Even though I don't use SafeOnline, and have installed Prevx with SafeOnline disabled, the SafeOnline code is still embedded within Prevx. As SafeOnline and Rapport are similar types of applications, I wonder whether these types of browser protection utilities have a specific issue with MemoryGuard on XP SP3 systems. I had similar problems with these two during the AppGuard beta phase.

7. shadek

shadek Registered Member

This deal does include free updates forever, right? Nowhere where you bought the app did it say it wasn't included. Any official want enlighten us?

8. cauefw

cauefw Registered Member

That won't be the first time if they did something like that... Blue Ridge Networks didn't did it, but Kaspersky...

Check how Kaspersky is treating their Kaspersky Password Managers users that acquired a "lifetime" license from them... Just go ahead to their foruns and check it out!

Not saying it'll be the same for AppGuard, just saying others already did that in the lifetime license... :)

Cheers,

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Tell me about it ,im still smarting over roboform.I would be tempted with appguard though if it was kosher.
    ellison

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes, but Blueridge never told me it was anything else than a pure life-time license for three (3) computers I bought. There's no information around on their site that it's a license which only updates for a year and then you're screwed.

Eirik, care to enlighten the ones among us who're starting to worry here?

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Eirik has previously answered this in reply to similar questions asked a while back (see the link to posts #579 and #594 in the original thread where this was discussed in post #27 of this thread ).

To summarise, Eirik has previously said this: -

"With version 1.3, we announced new licensing terms per a single purchased license, which includes
    - three concurrent installations on different machines
    - software updates for life
    - online tech support for life"

As far as I know, the policy is still the same, but I'm sure Eirik will clarify this if the situation has changed.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I will double check to see if the lifetime license is good for all feature versions of AG. I'll try to get an answer by sometime today.

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, I sent Barb with Blue Ridge Networks the following e-mail below. She has been good about answering any questions I have had in a timely manner.

Is the lifetime license for 3 PC's that is advertised on Blue Ridge Networks website for $24.95 good for all future versions of AppGuard? I started a thread at Wilders on the deal, but everyone is hesitant to purchase the license because they believe it may just be good for version 3 or have some other stipulations not explained. There is no other information on the license on the website. Here is the thread I started -http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=294014

Thanks in Advance!

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Once again, you have some valuable information gathered in your brain, pegr! :thumb: I really appreciate it!

Good initiative! Please do report back the eventual answer you'll receive! :)

15. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I am beginning to doubt the capabilities of AppGuard. When testing malware using ShadowDefender, I got infected with all six (6) launched from the user area (desktop). I tested the same thing with one (1) malware without ShadowDefender and AppGuard at max, still, I got infected. I'll restore an old image from an hour back. A glitch?

16. Cutting_Edgetech

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

18. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Hi All,

Sorry the answer to the licensing question has been so long in coming. I just got back from travels last night and had a root canal today.

Our pricing/licensing policy for AppGuard has always been lifetime use and updates and email based support. With version 1.4, we increased the number of computers supported per license from one to three.

As with all software, pricing and licensing terms are subject to change, affecting those that purchase after the announced change.

Cheers

Eirik

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks eirik:thumb:

20. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thanks for the information. You're offering a very generous deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.