GRC Shield'sUP!! failed test

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by brynn, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brynn

brynn Registered Member

Hi Friends,
    For the time being, I'm content to let the more technically aware deal with the GRC Leak Test issues. (Unless submitting my results to ESET would be helpful. If so, let me know, and I'll be glad to.)

But for myself, I've just run the Shield'sUP!! tests. Unfortunately, I've failed at one of the Port tests -- Ping Reply. The other 2, Solicited and Unsolicited TCP Packets, I passed. And as well, ALL my ports are Stealthed. Regarding the failed Ping Reply portion, I was told:
    What can I do to fix this?

Thank you very much for any comments or suggestions :)

2. DonVa

DonVa Registered Member

I think you may find this is a router setting.

I fixed this on mine by opening the router settings and unchecking "Allow anonymous connections"

3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

agreed, if you check the ip address it's checking you should find it's the router address and not the pc's.

4. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

5. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

You may not want to. Here's why.

6. brynn

brynn Registered Member

WOW!!
    Ok, I'm not looking for a technical discussion. As I said, I prefer to leave the GRC Leak Test issue to others who are qualified to handle it.

DonVa and stratoc, I don't have a router....I don't think. I did just get dsl, for which I got a dsl modem. I'm a bit confused whether that's considered a router.

Dogbiscuit, are you saying the ESET firewall was designed to allow Ping Replies, because of the RFC Standard? Or are you simply refering to the "what ifs" mentioned in your reference?

Thanks for everyone's comments.

7. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

ESET's firewall allows incoming echo requests by default probably because ESET wants their firewall to conform fully to the RFC standard and doesn't see strong technical grounds for breaking it. But this is just a guess on my part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.