Gps tracking on our children

Discussion in 'polls' started by Mr.Blaze, Aug 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

yes or no would you put gps tracking on your child?

with all the kid rape and killing i would big yes for me

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I like the idea because I have two daughters and if I had that installed when they were babies I would have been able to easily track them when they are at parties when they are teenagers ;) Can it have a PA system too? "Get your paw off my daughter's rear or I'll break your fingers!" lol.

3. root

root Registered Member

No, NO, NNNOOO!!! I am sick and tired of this nerf society being built. Creating more law, providing more bumpers, building failsafe toilets and all the other crap that is going on.
    You touched a sore spot with me MRBLAZE. I have no arguement with you or your opinion in this matter of children, but it falls in the category of nerfism.
    We live in a world where things go wrong and people get hurt and things break and people get sick from bad food. I will resist to my dying breath, the movement to make everything so safe that nothing can go wrong. It ain't gonna happen.
    Taking care of our children is of the utmost importance. How we do it needs to be done in a manner that does not trample on individual freedoms - even at the age of 2.
    Just my .02.

I still love you MRBLAZE :-*

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I will add that a system like that is likely to allow parents to shrug responsibility of their children's safety and blame others for their mistakes more than ever.

5. You have the same type of poll going on at this site.

http://www.komando.com/poll_results.asp?showid=2815

Harmless when not out of control
    Critics charge lax parole decisions are needlessly costing lives

http://www.marnieko.com/parole.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keeping tabs on dangerous parolees
    Peter Whitmore, a convicted pedophile, is, as the saying goes, "known to the police." Two years ago, in an interview with this magazine, Toronto police spokesman Sergeant Jim Muscat called Whitmore a "deviant animal" who likes to "prey on children, boys and girls, from ages eight to 11." He was first sentenced in 1993, on various sexual charges and for abducting a child under 14. Two years later, he was charged with more sexual crimes and sentenced to five years in prison. Paroled in November 2000, he was found, just hours later, with a young boy in his hotel room.
    Whitmore was paroled again this month. Authorities wanted him to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet on his ankle, but a disgusted Ontario Justice Patrick Sheppard decided the bracelet would be useless. The device, operating on radio frequencies, notifies authorities only when the offender leaves home. Justice Sheppard said his car has better tracking gadgets. However, Ontario Correctional Services Minister Rob Sampson announced last month that the province is seriously considering solving the problem by using sophisticated Global Position Systems (GPS) to track convicts. He said he will invite bids from private companies later this month. Alberta is also considering GPS.

GPS is much more advanced than the electronic bracelet proposed for Whitmore. It uses 24 missile-guiding satellites put into orbit 11,000 miles above the earth by the U.S. Department of Defence. Since the '90s, the system has been available to private companies. It works 24 hours a day and under any weather conditions. Since 1998, at least 16 U.S. state police departments have used GPS (known as SMART--short for Satellite Monitoring and Remote Tracking) to babysit violent or sexual offenders. In Florida last summer, more than 600 convicts were being monitored by GPS, at a cost of US$9.17 per day compared to the US$50 a day it costs to maintain an inmate in prison. GPS can even notify victims if their former attacker is nearby.

Using GPS for tracking parolees does have limitations, however. Criminals can cut their bracelets and try to escape. (U.S. authorities have prepared for this. If a bracelet is removed, an alarm sounds in the police station monitoring the convict.) The signal can be lost in a tunnel or shopping mall. And GPS will not tell authorities who a sexual offender is with, or if he has young children in his home. One GPS dealer, Art Dalton, of Prairie Geomatics Ltd. in Manitoba, also pointed out a prisoner could disable the tracking by covering up the antenna of the device.

Meanwhile, Stephen Jenuth, president of the Alberta Civil Liberties Association, is worried the technology may lead to civil rights abuses. Calling it a "ruthless invasion of people's privacy," he notes sexual offenders released on parole have the right to grocery-shop without surveillance.

But at least one Vancouver mother, whose 10-year-old boy was a victim of a repeat sex offender, believes GPS is ignoring the bigger problem. "We don't need more technology," she argues. "We don't need to track pedophiles. We just need to throw them in jail and not let them out on parole if they are at all likely to re-offend."

6. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

MyNethingyman wow so much information really through i was more on the lines on our children theyt go missing or run alway or get kidnap call it in with there id number typ thing.

if your 5yr old is moving at the rate of 60 miles an hour and is going out of state the cops can head the bad guy off typ thing

7. "if your 5yr old is moving at the rate of 60 miles an hour and is going out of state the cops can head the bad guy off typ thing"

Hi Blaze,

I thought long and hard about that one. Knowing how easily that GPS locator or bracelet can be defeated... I did not want to put a damper on your idea or your concern for the kids of the world. The violence and trauma they experience at the hands of these sick people can never be described in words.

I think it may be a deterent to some if they knew the child was covered..but not the one who knows before hand that child is going to end up dead in his or her hands.

Thats what we are seeing more of today. These people are not stupid..they are evil. I myself no longer consider them just sick....and if there must be casualities in a society..let it not be the children. Give them your love at all times and try to be" role model" for them in all that you do and say.

Be Well, my friend,

John

Cats in the Cradle.........

8. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Rant removed on advice from higher brain functions

9. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Hi Checkout. I believe that the girls went off with a phone & charger - hence the ploy. For all we know, the phone may have been used in the meantime (hope squeaking in the darkness). I live about 40 miles away from this event along with 2 daughters and a son....... As to Plod being dim - I swing from complete agreement with you to thinking that we probably don't know the half of what is going on.

In terms of the original question, I believe that the next generation of mobile phones in Europe will have direction finding (cellular, not GPS as far as I know) accurate to 10m or so as an embedded feature. As far as I'm concerned, the idea of my daughter having a locating device when she goes out is excellent - not just as relates to crime, but also accidents.

Unicron - what would help solve your concern (and mine in a couple of years LOL is a minature webcam embedded in a necklace......

10. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Bubs, I wish. I wish many things. I wish the things you describe will come true. I wish to hear good news of Jessica and Holly. I wish the Human Race will cease having such aberrations. I wish Christmas was every day. I wish I wasn't so upset.

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Checkout,

I'm completely with you.
    I do wish that Jessica and Holly, and every other missing child, would be immediately safe and well home again!!!!!

12. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Checkout.

Amen.

13. mothman

mothman Registered Member

Absolutely *not.* I'm always astounded by the people who willingly agree to be tracked by *anyone.* The big question in these instances you have to ask yourself is 'who watches the watchers.' I wouldn't even use LowJack in my vehicle bc it uses GPS. I don't trust *any* entity not to log the data concerning my whereabouts at any given time and decide to sell it later to some marketing company because it is the only way they can prevent themselves from going bellyup. We've that happen before when ToysRUs or some other dotbomb that went bankrupt and sold its users info in spite of its policy *not* to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.