got ewido: do I need windows defender etc

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by philebus, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philebus

philebus Registered Member

Hi, I was very impressed with the trial version of ewido, so I upgraded to the paid version so as to keep the resident shield and automatic update functionality.

Now my question is given that ewido has a resident shield, as does my antivirus (AVG free version) which of my other anti spyware programs can I safely uninstall. I am currently also runnnig
    - ad aware SE
    - spybot search and destroy,
    - windows defender
    - spyware blaster.

My firewall is Zonealarm free version.

Given I use the net a lot, and do quite a bit of p2p, I do want to keep my computer as safe as possible. But I don't want to clog it with programs that run in the background and slow down performance unduly. In this case, Ad-Aware and spyware blaster are probably OK because they don't drain resouces. I think spbot S&D is impotant and probably has minimal or no impact on resources. But what about Windows defender? Does it's real time protection affect performance much, and does it really provide any protection that ewido doesn't.

Any opinions appreciated.

thanks

Does it do stuff that ewido doesn't. Does it's real time protect affect performance

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yoiu could keep them all and add the free version of http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html and then disable the real-time protection in Spybot (TeaTimer & immunize), Windows Defender and AA if it's the paid version and only have AVG & ewido as real-time protection and the the rest as on-demand scanners, i personally only use two (Spy Sweeper & SUPERAntiSpyware) for occational scans. Spywareblaster you should keep if you use IE.

3. Get

Get Guest

@ Don Pelotas: Just wondering..why disable immunize (Spybot)?

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

He's using Spywareblaster already....and admittedly i'm not a big fan of Spybot.:)

5. Get

Get Guest

There's an overlap, that's true, but not 100%, so it's better to use them both.

@philebus: Ad-Watch (paid Ad-Aware) and Immunize (Spybot) aren't really a drain on resources. Teatimer you can disable and use Spywareguard instead. When there's a 100% overlap of one of these things with Ewido i'm "sure" someone will mention it.

6. philebus

Thanks guys.

At this stage it looks like its best to keep everything installed on my computer as it is, though I might give the free version of superantispyware a try.

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

defender isn't that good IMHO spyware terminator is better IMHO but you choose what you want

8. philebus

Oh, another thing.

I'm thinking of getting zonealarm pro; mainly for the better firewall than that in free zonealarm. Should I disable the antispyware function of the pro version? I doubt if it could add much to what I already have, and might be an extra drain on system resouces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.