Google's Chrome browser share growth trumps Firefox's

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Computerworld Article by Gregg Keizer.​

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The title of the article is technically correct -- BUT (IMO) it seems designed to make Chrome's growth differential (versus that of FF) sound much greater than the actual 1/10th of 1%. :thumbd:

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

If Firefox has ~300 million users while holding ~25% market share, then Chrome growing by 0.1% more than Firefox still means they managed to snag ~1.2 million more new users than Firefox did last month. Not all that insignificant, if you ask me.

But you're right. The inconsiderate author should have toned down his article to avoid injuring the sensitive feelings of Firefox fans among his readers. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well im not surprised chrome is gaining so many users, its constantly advertised on every google service ther is, specifically youtube, right on the main page, u cant help but see it and with all the fancy wording they use like faster etc, most people will download it...

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

On my Vista Machine Chrome is twice as fast as Firefox, speed is the only reason I use it, most of the time. I only use Firefox when I'm doing research on a particular topic as the use of extensions makes it very versatile.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Don't put words in my mouth (it ain't sanitary). Actually, my main browser is Opera, #2 is Chrome, #3 is FF.

For a recent starter, 1/10th 0f 1% growth doesn't amount to a pool of warm spit. Lots of folks like to try out new stuff (me too). Let's see what happens over the next several months. I do think that Chrome will continue to grow in usage, but more at the expense of IE's market share than against that of FF.

By the way --- on my computer, Opera (with Turbo activated) is waaay faster*** than Chrome.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

***Tested using THIS timing site to test load times for THAT target site. Granted that 1 target site is not an adequate sample but I'm too busy for more testing -- me & a buddy have an appointment to sit out on the patio and watch the ground crack (we're having a bit of a dry spell.)

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Sigh. If you really feel the need to publicly advertise your petulance on an online forum, then so be it, I guess.

But you know what, if such news doesn't interest you, may I suggest the option of not reading it (and go watch the ground crack instead). This IS the "software and services" forum, where such news gets posted. People come here to see such news. And me, I find it interesting news that someone is actually overtaking Firefox's growth rate for the first time in a very long while.

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i use chrome on my USB drive since its a nice simple quick browser that easy to just use for a quick little browse, but on my main system i use firefox, i culdnt live without the features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.