Google 'Updates' Privacy Policy - Goodbye Google for some?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by LockBox, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Search, but don't use google!:D

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

"they seem to think that they know better what you want and need than you do yourself" But is Google specifically restricting your freedom in any way?

"insult to individuality" Aren't we stretching just a bit here?

I don't like Microsoft but I don't rant about it everyday. I just choose something else. (On the rare occasion that I do rant, the rant gets 1984'ed)

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's hardly infringing on your rights when they practically yell at you how they look at your information and explain how to switch to a competitor if you're uncomfortable.

I mean I get why people don't like data collection. It's entirely justified not liking it. Thinking a business that's built on it could even be seen as evil if you believe data collection is. But... they make it pretty clear.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This is a bit of a pork pie hungry. Naughty, naughty ... ;)

5. Daveski17

I've used Iron for a long time & I still prefer it to Chrome.

I've never had spam in GMX Mail & I prefer that to GMail.

Dammit! I'd miss those. I suppose I'll have to live with the borg. :eek:

Start Page & DDG are very good alternatives IMO.

6. Hungry Man

Why would this turn you off to youtube? It's still collecting data... as it has been this entire time lol If you didn't know that I guess I understand though.

7. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Carressing the keyboard doesn't count. :D

:sigh: What has turned me off the most is how Google filters search results, becoming harder to locate parallel information. I used to be able to find a lot of relevant material within the first 4 pages of a Google search, now I can look at 20 pages and not see half of the same quantity of relevant material. Because of advertising, there is a lot more non relevant information pervading the results. Who likes to spend twice as long to find half as much? :mad:

8. Hungry Man

Yikes, I've been caught! lol

If only we could get congress to approve computer-human marriage.

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've had a pretty good experience with Google search and rarely have to "below the fold" let alone to a second page. For example, typing 'upstart gives me what I want in the first and third hits. That is maybe because I stay logged in.

Attached Files:

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed. Please refrain from discussing politics as per site tos. Thank you

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

12. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

13. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Do we need Google. Is it impossible to surf the net without Google? We all have the ability to make decisions for ourselves. If you don't like a product drop it and use something else. There is other search engines and mail services to use. Google are currently in a position to do what they want because they sort made everyone relax for years. Many people warned this sort of thing is going to happen and its busy happening.

14. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

No, they're (hopefully) not affecting me at all (apart from blocking Scroogle)
    because I won't have anything of Google on my two machines. But, I'm nevertheless entitled to my opinion of them, and you're welcome to regard me
    as something of an extremist.

Here's another "repercussion" from Google : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/26/google_emails_virgin_media_subscribers/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  15. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

I would like to add on from my original tongue n' cheek remark earlier. From a commercial standpoint the move does make sense as all companies tend to track their products and how consumers are using them. It is good business sense and allows R&D to refine and make a better product. In the case of social media and social services, you are the product, and the consumer is marketing/advertising companies. That is how these services can remain free and yet still yield a profit.

Also remember by current law the United States government can legally obtain all U.S cloud based email anyway after 180 days without a warrant. You don’t just have to be on gmail to get your emails scanned and captured. (You can thank the lag time between law and technology development for that one.)

The best thing we can do in today’s online environment is be aware of what is out there monitoring us and know how to separate ourselves online from our known aliases as much as possible. However to expect total privacy and anonymity is simply not feasible in today's environment.
    :doubt:

16. Daveski17

"Google is complicit in the effort to build a huge surveillance and control grid. It is an enthusiastic handmaiden of the global elite. Recorded Future is a pre-crime tool that will be used by the controllers to predict what the ruling elite consider criminal activity — "

Is this like a Philip K. Dick novel or what? :eek:

17. Hungry Man

I stand by my original statement lol that was the first thing that came up when I was looking for it. Too lazy to find a legitimate paper/ website.

18. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

So do i :p

Proves how popular that www is :D

Well now we know your'e not too bothered where you post your info from :D

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

As long as you have choices, clarity is improved, and it makes things easier; I don't see why not.

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

21. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

I'm hesitant to think that advocating Hotmail over Gmail would lead to any improvement in potential loss of privacy. Hotmail doesn't do the ad targeting and they don't have a relationship with Youtube but I'd not trust Microsoft any more than I would trust Google. Both have NSA cooperation in their history, both have access to enormous amounts of user information and both have their shady & embarrassing public moments. To people who care enough to ask me, I push Zoho, GMX and Fastmail as email substitues for Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail. I also mention their ISP, and maybe some of the smaller services like MailVault depending on what they're looking for.

About Iron & Chrome, a lot has changed. *Shameless plug.*
    http://www.thesimplecomputer.info/the-private-life-of-chromium-browsers.html

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  22. Hungry Man

Do you know of any US based companies that don't cooperate with the NSA?

Linux officially supports multiple NSA projects like SELinux.

Also the link you posted was interesting. In the comparison between Chromium and Iron there is essentially no difference in "privacy" since everything is either off or opt-outable, just like Iron. And everything in the Chrome category other than the updater (this is a privacy concern? The open source updater?) is opt-outable as well.

Good link overall. This was interesting:
    And a "pre-conclusion"
    This article just keeps getting better >_> but now I'm off topic

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  23. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/05/70914

http://web.archive.org/web/20050206184639/narus.com/press/2004/0929.html

So these guys (1) build hugely cool network monitoring devices and (2) are tied into US (at least) national security organizations at the highest levels. What are these hugely cool machines capable of?

How powerful is this? OC-192 carries about 10 gigabits of data per second. Ten billion bits per second, monitored in real-time. That is stunning. This is one damned powerful machine, one of the most powerful I've ever heard of in 25 years in IT.​
    And what does it monitor while looking at this 10 billion bits of IP data per second? First lets take a look at what the network model is, the OSI model of seven layers. NarusInsight focuses on two layers: number four, the transport layer, built on standards like TCP and UDP, the physical building blocks of internet data traffic, and number seven, the application layer, built on standards like HTTP and FTP, which are dependent on the application using them, i.e. Internet Explorer, Kazaa, Skype, etc. It monitors 10 billion bits per second at level four and 2500 million bits per second at level seven. For reference, the 256K DSL line I am using equals .25 million bits per second. So one NarusInsight machine can look at about 39,000 DSL lines at once in great detail. That is a pretty damn big number.

Do they need Google? No

24. Daveski17

I only wished that I'd found out about GMX & Zoho earlier.

Oh no ... don't show this to Hungry Man ... oh ... too late ... :eek: ;) :D

"As of Dec. 29, 2011, the source code on Iron's site is for version 6!! Iron is currently on version 16."

This is indeed strange, I'd hesitate to jump to any sinister conclusions or corollaries quite yet though.

"Admittedly, Iron seemed to make less updates than the others. It was the quietest of the three and not everything observed in Chrome and Chromium was requested in Iron."

Well, that's a plus I suppose.

"-I caution that Iron releases can be moody. If you install a new version and it gives you problems where your previous version didn't, there's no going back to the older one because the download link from SRWare only points to the current version and there's no public archive. The lesson here is to save the iron.exe or iron-linux tarball because otherwise, you're stuck with either a buggy Iron or using a different browser."

Definitely. Also they have an annoying habit of correcting bugs only a few days after a release with a new release. I often wonder why they didn't just wait & test it a bit more.

"Then around version 12, Iron hit puberty and started misbehaving with page requests that never materialized on my screen, sometimes without copious amounts of refresh. The amount of random crashes had increased and worse was that these problems also affected some of the people I'd converted to Iron. Upon upgrading my Iron to version 14, my mind was sufficiently blown by an incompatibility(?) which rendered the back button unable to go past more than 1 previous page. That genuinely pissed me off so I vacationed to the Chromium Republic to see if persisting Iron's bugs to the next version was really worthwhile. My sentiments?"

I remember the British English spellchecker in Iron #2 breaking just by switching to it! The back-button bug was annoying as well. It seems to be working well at the moment though ~ 16.0.950.0 (Developer Build 115000 Windows).

"So more accurately, we'll conclude that Iron is for users who just want total (and an ironic) divorce from Google while using a web browser created by Google."

I think this just about sums it up. ;)

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.