Google Toolbar, Safe Browsing, or McAfee SiteAdvisor?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I've been reading a bit about each of these here lately, and I'm curious which one others believe to be the "best" of these options: The Google Toolbar for Firefox (with Safe Browsing included and other features), the Google Safe Browsing extension for Firefox, or the McAfee SiteAdvisor.

OK, here's what I'm primarily looking for: I'll accept the Google "Toolbar", but would rather not have more of my browser window area occupied if possible. Also, I'd like to add one of these options for Internet Explorer as well, but not sure which can be. And lastly, are these "downloads", per se, that are browser specific, or can be used with different browsers (Firefox, IE, Opera, etc.)?

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

both google toolbar and siteadvisor have separate versions (downloads) for IE and Firefox.

also SiteAdvisor (for Firefox) does not use a toolbar, rather it has a button in the status bar. The IE version tho, does use a toolbar iirc.

3. JRCATES

Thanks for that info, WSFuser. So in order to use McAfee SiteAdvisor for IE and Firefox, I'd HAVE TO "download" a version for Firefox...AND a seperate version for IE? :doubt: And does it show in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if so, as two seperate entries (one for FF and one for IE)?

Also, which do you prefer or like the most? Seems that SiteAdvisor covers much more than Google (either the Toolbar OR the Safe Browisng extension)....but I'm wondering if the "Safe Browsing" exptension is similar to SiteAdvisor in that it doesn't "install a toolbar"?

4. WSFuser

yes
    iirc, teh IE version will have an entry in add/remove programs, but the Firefox version is an extension. you know how to uninstall extensions right?
    siteadvisor. i simply dont like toolbars.
    i dont remember. all i know is that Google Safe Browsing is no longer available as a separate product, u have to use the Google toolabr now.

5. dog

dog Guest

JR -- I just installed Site Advisor to give you a few screenshots. :)

Attached Files:

6. dog

dog Guest

& Highlighted Google results

Attached Files:

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Another option is firetrust SiteHound toolbar( it has free version) but I like SiteAdvisor most along with SnoopFree.

8. JRCATES

Hey, thanks for the screenies, Steve, and for that info as well, WSFuser and aigle.

Hmmm....well, it sounds pretty interesting and all. I'm a little confused about something that WSFuser wrote, though. Fuser....first, you said this:

but then followed up with this:

So were you referring strictly to Firefox, or do you know if the IE version uses /installs a toolbar as well?

As for the FF extensions, yep, I've got one currently installed at the moment (one, that's it :D ). I may add the NoScript extension at some point, but it seems that I've heard just as much bad about it recently from practically as many users that praise it, so I'm still on the fence about it ATM.

I know that Google also has a toolbar for IE as well, but I'm thinking that if SiteAdvisor is NOT a toolbar (for both IE and Firefox), that may be the way I go initially. I may then add the Google toolbar later (if SiteAdvisor doesn't add one of it's own, that is). Sorry, Steve, thanks for the pics and everything, but I couldn't tell if that was a toolbar or not from that particular screenshot. Doesn't LOOK like it, but I couldn't tell for sure. :doubt:

BTW - anybody know if SiteAdvisor will or plans to stay free, or is it just a "trial period" type thing where they're gonna want cash afterwards o_O

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think he means Google toolbar( not siteadvisor). Me too.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I don't know about everyone else, but I absolutely love this McAfee SiteAdvisor. Finally, McAfee has done something right, ok, actually this was technology was developed at MIT and purchased by McAfee. By going into Settings you can have it scan Google, MSN, or Yahoo searches, like someone about posted an image of. This is the first time that I've ever known beforehand, that where I was going was reasonably safe. McAfee claims to have checked 95% of the sites on the Internet which at first I did not believe, but then I read somewhere, I don't remember where, how the "scanning bots" developed by MIT, are constantly combing the entire Internet, looking for the "bad guys". So far, very impressed, now McAfee, a word for you: YOU PURCHASED A GREAT PROGRAM, NOW DON'T MESS IT UP, ala Norton. :doubt:

Acadia

11. JRCATES

Yeah, Acadia, I agree....BUT:

12. dog

dog Guest

No toolbar just the status bar icon. ;)

From their IE Screenshot attached below - it seems the same for IE - No toolbar just the status icon. :)

I'd assume it'd remain free. :)

Attached Files:

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, McAfee will not remain free, eventually, you'll have to pay for it, and I for one, IF it continues to work this well, will glady pay to know beforehand whether or not a Google search link is safe or not. :cool:

Acadia

14. JRCATES

I don't think that it would sell as a standalone. They're probably planning to incorporate it into a "Suite" of sorts, but for a standalone product, I just don't know that it has the merits to be worthy of much cash at all....especially considering that Google and other companies are innovating similar products for free! But I guess it's at least worthy of a try now, as long as it's free. ;)

15. JRCATES

Thanks, DOG!!!*puppy* *puppy* *puppy*

I hope you're right!!!:p

16. dog

dog Guest

Nope - My assumption was wrong :( --- Acadia is right. ;) :)

From the FAQ :(

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Zowieee, neat, do you have any links for these products, especially the Google one, thanks. :cool:

Acadia

18. WSFuser

yes i was referring to the firefox version. i rarely open up IE, so i dont pay much attention to software made for it.

siteadvisor does use a toolbar for IE but its very short. also IE lets u put the toolbar next to the address bar.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  19. JRCATES

Well, I installed the Google Toolbar for both IE and Firefox. One thing, though.....during installation, WinPatrol alerted me to a new "Startup" program: GoogleToolbarNotifier. I allowed it, because it can be disabled or removed via WinPatrol....but I'm curious if this is really necessary to have as a "Startup Program"! o_O

20. WSFuser

21. JRCATES

Thanks. That's interesting, Fuser....but what's your take on if it is "necessary"? I wasn't sure what to make of this statement in that article:

So is it basically a startup program that runs contantly in memory just to prevent the search engine from being changed from Google to MSN or another SE? o_O

22. JRCATES

ALRIGHT...

This probably deserves a thread OF IT'S OWN.....

But I just installed the McAfee SiteAdvisor for Firefox....

AND NOW FIREFOX WON'T OPEN!!!

After seeing the extension listed and getting the message that the browser "must be restarted", blah, blah, blah.....the browser was closed - and I haven't been able to open it since!!! Either through the Start menu, or through Programs > trying both normal and "Safe Mode"!!! o_O

Any idea what went wrong? Or what might be blocking Firefox from opening? Any suggestionso_O

P.S. - I'm using IE now to type this, since Firefox won't open....

23. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Is Firefox still running in the background silently? After McAfee SiteAdvisor restarted FF, some things were screwed up settings-wise, but closing and starting FF was normal after that all.

24. JRCATES

Hi VS,

No, actually SiteAdvisor did NOT restart FF. Firefox would not open!!! And I also checked the active processes during this problem, and Firefox was not one of them. I even rebooted the PC a couple of times to see if that would do any good, but it didn't....I still couldn't open Firefox in either normal OR Safe Mode. Since I didn't know what to do and am a bit impatient, I ended up doing a system restore which wiped out the Google Toolbar and McAfee SiteAdvisor, but corrected the problem. Firefox is now working like it did before all this mess (using it now to type this).

I don't know what got screwed up, but thought I'd just try a system restore and see if that would work to correct the problem, and apparently it did. I guess if I decide to try it again (downloading and installing the McAfee SiteAdvisor) I can or may. But for now, a working browser is more important than the SiteAdvisor extension :p

Think there would or could be ANY conflict with the Google Toolbar and McAfee SiteAdvisoro_O

25. WSFuser

only one way to find out: disable or remove the google toolbar and install siteadvisor. remember to backup your profile (folder) just in case.

u can also make a new profile and install siteadvisor then google toolbar. if they dont conflict then maybe its another extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.