Google takes CAPTCHA security to the streets

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://www.infoworld.com/t/security/google-takes-captcha-security-the-streets-189867

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2013/10/recaptcha-just-got-easier-but-only-if.html

3. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, I've seen those CAPTCHAs. I wonder if CAPTCHAs, in general, really do something against spam bots. I've seen them bypassed several times, although it's also possible that they were human bots. And yet, they make it hard for me to read them while I only want to use the search feature, so I'm glad that CAPTCHAs get easier to read.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So basically they are cropping street names to use them in captcha? :rolleyes:

5. guest

guest Guest

Numbers.

Why not? It's a lot easier than reading barely readable CAPTCHAs, if they were meant to be readable anyway. At some point I thought CAPTCHAs are some kind of a torture device. Not to mention about questions like "Describe about this company" and showing the picture of Danone. WTH?! :ouch:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So true. Ive seen some captchas that are basically unreadable . . . LOL

7. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

FTA:
    They don't elaborate on the parameters used to extract and select these "characters". However, if one looks at the limited set of samples (http://i.imgur.com/NMRZd.jpg) they appear to be of numbers displayed on (likely private) buildings/property. Street numbers probably, but in some cases perhaps not. Some of the images aren't cropped well and do show adjacent structure/area. Too hard to tell whether they are the same resolution as would be seen via public StreetView images of that location.

StreetView itself is rather creepy to begin with and even the *public* images are far too high in many locations. So I doubt this use of StreetView data will upset people. However, what we have here is a case of Google using automated image processing/recognition to extract information and use it for some new/other commercial purpose. Perhaps this is an opportunity to think about whether there should be bounds on what Google is allowed to do with StreetView images? Bearing in mind that computers will become ever better at recognizing what is in each image, who is in each image, what's happening in the image(s), etc.

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The first post is over a year old. The second post is the most recent.

My apologies for any confusion.

9. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

I hate to admit it but I missed the date *twice* (in your first post and in the linked to article). Thanks for drawing attention to the date.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://betanews.com/2013/10/28/ai-firm-vicarious-cracks-captcha-codes/

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

12. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Does anyone know of a good free CAPTCHA program that will work with Microsoft FrontPage 2003? And before someone tells me that I would be better off writing the website in something other than FrontPage believe me if I could I would. I developed the site for a Military Volunteer Group I belong to not because I am a programmer, I definitely am not, but out of necessity. As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.