Google Surrendered Private Data of WikiLeaks Journalists to US government

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Stefan Froberg, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Google (or any other major e-mail provider) should never be used to send or store sensitive data. It's also disturbing to know that they store all deleted emails. I hope that we will find out if they at least try to fight against the warrants.

3. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

I agree. Nowadays, if you want at least some privacy in your e-mail communications your choices are:

1. Use any non-major, outside of USA and UK e-mail provider (preferably from Netherlands) that provides strong encryption. SSL etc.. (PGP big plus)

2. Setup your own little Linux postfix e-mail server into your living room, handle all the technical stuff of securing and encrypting yourself and pay for little extra for enterprise grade Internet connection (that allows keeping e-mail servers and does not restrict your connection or block your ports) and for electricity of course. I went this route and have never turned back to gmail.

3. Use pigeons ;) At least pigeons can't be hacked or spyed. :D

4. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Nothing at all would surprise me about the google monster. What amazes me is that people much more knowledgeable than I haven't seen google for what they are ages ago.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Google is a corporation, a machine if you will, and soon (if not already) an AI. It's aim is accumulating capital, of all sorts. Anything else that it does is a side effect. Plan accordingly ;)